Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: 50 Cal. Gun Strenght  (Read 18666 times)

Slikk

• Modder
Re: 50 Cal. Gun Strenght
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2011, 06:39:14 PM »

This is in the ReadMe from Certificate’s ai mod.

UPDATE .20:

- Removed .17 AI attack changes.
- Adjusted JABO code, hopefully results in less accidents.
- Adjusted AI attack code/wingman behavior
- "Ace" planes can no longer take 1.5x the damage of a normal plane.

I’m not sure what the damage level was changed to, but it was at 1.5x the damage of a normal plane prior to 2.0 of the ai mod. This was all pretty much common knowledge back when Certificate was working to improve the ai routine. There were pages and pages on all this over at AAA before the site went down. You can still find some of this over at AAS. I’m not sure how much they were able to save from the old threads but they still have several pages on this topic over there.

HundertzehnGustav

• Banned on Sep 11/2012
  • Arrogant Narcisistic Pussy
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2011, 06:51:49 PM »

well, that could still refer to the "ace" planes, Hartmann 109G6, that russian P-39 from an ace, the I-16... well, just simply the "ace" planes that are in the aircraft list, not the AI level "ace" of standard planes.

Still... The principle remains: use your .50 the right way, and you get results... don´t, and Uncle Sam pays for wasted ammo.

Its weird tho... i don't remember any prolonged discussion (2006-2011) about the majority of other weapons... from 7,62 to 50mm...

*shrugs*

Wildchild

• Bf 109 Killer
    • This is my professional racing page. Please check it out!
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2011, 07:25:03 PM »

Well is it possible at least to make a certain spot on a ship (like top of smokestack, bridge, gun stations, ect.) weaker than other spots?

Slikk

• Modder
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2011, 07:29:34 PM »

Its weird tho... i don't remember any prolonged discussion (2006-2011) about the majority of other weapons... from 7,62 to 50mm...

You misunderstood a bit; I was talking about Certs ai mod, not 7,62 to 50mm. But I don’t want to hijack the thread with all this ai talk, so I’ll let you guys get back to talking about 50 cal stuff. :)

Boosh

• Not quite the champ...
  • Not quite the champ...
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2011, 07:39:39 PM »

.50's are fine. You need to practice shooting more and watching your convergence range. That's what it all comes down to in the end.

Wildchild

• Bf 109 Killer
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2011, 09:44:38 PM »

From the start I have been talking about 50 cal.'s attacking ships lol. Which is why I questioned the strength of the good ole 50 cal. So like I said before:

Well is it possible at least to make a certain spot on a ship (like top of smokestack, bridge, gun stations, ect.) weaker than other spots?

CWMV

• Kalashnikov connoisseur
  • Modder
  • A free people ought to be armed and disciplined.
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2011, 10:01:32 PM »

Im not certain, but Ill hazard a guess that that is a bit more complex than is practical in IL2.
Although that is implemented to some form on aircraft I suppose.
But who cares, the only thing you should be worried about strafing are allied airbases from the cockpit of your mighty, feldgrau steed! :D

HundertzehnGustav

• Banned on Sep 11/2012
  • Arrogant Narcisistic Pussy
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2011, 05:50:57 AM »

but wildchild then you also need to add the Jap and italian 12,7 mm guns to do damage to the ships.
and the MG FF and 131/13mm the Hispano 20mm  and the 151/15 and the 151/20 and all the other guns that are bigger than the .50s
else it would be unfair advantage to the Yanks with their Hawks,, lightnings and Mustangs.

and thinking like that...
Take the Jap fisher junk... strafe that with 10 Hurricane IIB that all empty their ammo stores on it...
and she still does not burn, sink or slow down.
651 Rounds of .303 that have hit the Junk haven't done a thing to her... is that realistic?
do we need to "up" the ,303 too?

I agree!!! i mean, like, that Japanese Tanker Captain is sitting there, monitoring the compass and engine systems, and a Jug attacks, all 8!! guns blazing... and the captain just watches out the window and sips his tea... totally unimpressed.

is there not a mod for generally making ships vulnerable to gunfire? from many many more Guns than the Merican .50s?
maybe that is what is needed too?

Slikk

• Modder
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2011, 03:51:36 PM »

Ok here we go again. I'll say this and then I'll leave it alone.  :) I know I cant be the only one here that has seen footage of planes obliterating ships with guns only, and I‘m not talking about in some over the top Hollywood movie either.  :D The way the game is set up now that just can’t happen and it’s mainly because the ships are not set up correctly for this to happen. When it comes to killing ships with guns, the gun strength is not what needs to be looked at. It’s the ship damage that’s set up incorrectly. It would take a bit of work but this could be fixed, and there are already mods floating around that address this issue.

Wildchild

• Bf 109 Killer
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2011, 04:06:33 PM »

Is it possible to weaken up some spots of a ship and keep other spots stronger? Like the
hull vs. smoke stack, or bridge vs. wooden deck?

Slikk

• Modder
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2011, 04:45:19 PM »

Yes

CWMV

• Kalashnikov connoisseur
  • Modder
  • A free people ought to be armed and disciplined.
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2011, 05:01:57 PM »

Ok here we go again. I'll say this and then I'll leave it alone.  :) I know I cant be the only one here that has seen footage of planes obliterating ships with guns only, and I‘m not talking about in some over the top Hollywood movie either.  :D The way the game is set up now that just can’t happen and it’s mainly because the ships are not set up correctly for this to happen. When it comes to killing ships with guns, the gun strength is not what needs to be looked at. It’s the ship damage that’s set up incorrectly. It would take a bit of work but this could be fixed, and there are already mods floating around that address this issue.
The thing about the videos is that you cant tell whats in the ships, whats on the deck, what type of armor they are packing, and what other previous damage they may have suffered to make them vulnerable to lighter machine guns.
I can see a junk or a fishing vessel with little to no armor being shredded by .50, but anything that has even a minimum standard of armor (which is usually pretty heavy on ships if im not mistaken) will be nearly invulnerable to .50 cal fire.
Im telling you guys the .50 is great against lightly armored targets. It blows through everything from houses and their occupants to light armored APC's without issue. The minute you throw armor plate up against it though its just another pea shooter...plink plink plink.
I guess I would say that until you have actually personally fired an M2 its easy to think that its the be all end all awesome weapon system. It is on the ground, as far as machine guns go I wouldn't ever want to come up against one, but in the air the .50 was second rate.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.242 seconds with 24 queries.