Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Tu-4 "Superfortresski" and KJ-1  (Read 21452 times)

benitomuso

• SAS Team
  • P.A.L.
Tu-4 "Superfortresski" and KJ-1
« on: July 12, 2011, 11:42:08 PM »

Dear All,
                 I have been investigating and working lately on the Soviet and Chinese copies of the B-29, what in some way is investigate the B-29 too, because they were so identical. So I made different corrections and I implemented something that later will be extended to different planes. I think that this image speaks by itself:

There are some records that say that under some circumstances the Kobal't radar of the Tu-4 could detect factories or big iron targets 400km (242mi) ahead. Isn't that too much? The fact is that there are some explanations about the radar but I couldn't find any single picture, so I imagined my one. If someone has or know where to find a real picture of the screen of the Kobal't, please tell me.

The APQ-13 radar of the B-29 was quite similar theorically, but the Kobal't was developed by the Soviets from it. The B-29 Radar Operator Station with it's equipment used to be like this:

But it wasn't right behind the Pilots cockpit as I thought, it was in the rear part of the plane:

So I mapped it as the 3rd cockpit position after the pilot and the bombardier, and before the gunners.

I removed from the Tu-4 and the KJ-1 the boomerang antenna that these original models (by Ilyushin from Aviaskin, JGE52 and CirX) had inherited from the B-29:

Now they don't have anything abnormal in the nose. These two extra planes used the Ranwers cockpit for the B-29:

Which is very nice, it is included in the UP3 and DBW but again, showed the boomerang antenna and trying to make it worn out, the texture used for the plexiglass cockpit was extremely dirty and unclear, making it very difficult to see through it. So I cleaned it, removed the antenna, some pannels, the logo of the B.29 in the button of the column, etc.

Something that I really don't like of the flyable B-29, considering that it's a quite well implemented (considering how complex it's) is the bombardier position having the B-25 nose. If you Master Ranwers or whoever interested on finishing this, is interested on it, it would be nice to have a good implementation of this:

Instead of the more squared B-25 nose. I tried to implement it using the main cockpit and just moving formard the CAMERAAIM, but there are too many backstage details:

I think that would be easier to move the nose (Cockpit_D0 mesh) of the B-29 pilot cockpit to the B-25 floor including it's BombSight and Instruments. If someone is interested on doing that it will make these planes: B-29, Tu-4 and KJ-1 really very complete.

In these days I will post the planes for download. For the while I'm adjusting some details.

Regards,
                      Pablo

melissa

• Modder
Re: Tu-4 "Superfortresski" and KJ-1
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 12:14:43 AM »

Stations of centimetric range Kobal't with capacity of radiation of an order of 65 kw had the narrow diagram of an orientation of aerials in a horizontal plane (3 °) and wide in vertical and allowed to find out and identify large industrial targets at ranges to 100 km and to make aim bombing from height of 3000-10500 m. And range of action a radar with a land radar-tracking beacon made 400 km. Accuracy of definition of coordinates of the purpose on an indication vast scale made ±100 m on range and ±2 ° on an azimuth.

As to the image the screen radar Kobal't I think it it was very similar to the British bombing radar H2S

Excuse my English

benitomuso

• SAS Team
  • P.A.L.
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 08:11:16 AM »

65kW!!! Wow. It is enough to boil the brain of any land crew member passing in front of the antenna if turned on.

Thank you for your comments. But still I don't have it so clear. I surfed the web for info of the H2S as you told me. Somehting basic and good was here:

But there is something fantastic, it seems that a Dutch woman has a full installation still working at home:

http://www.tatjavanvark.nl/tvve/dduck7.html

Aparently the H2S had two modes: full around scan (360degrees) and sector scan (about 45 degress front narrow angle).

In the pictures of the APQ-13 the screen is like this:

But the English radars had no lines at all at the scren and they were green, so I think that so similar they were not.

Regards,
                      Pablo

Pull Out An Eye

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 02:25:13 PM »

does it tracks ships?  :)

benitomuso

• SAS Team
  • P.A.L.
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 02:57:03 PM »

It does.

It tracks any object. It's not so easy to set the size for them. My biggest challenge is to not show only the objects like signals, but the map too. It's not easy, specially because you easily reach the borders of the current map in the long range modes of the radar. It will be for the next step with landscape included.

Regards,
                     Pablo

w

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 03:30:00 PM »

Great research benitomuso !!

what were the Soviet and Chinese B-29 copies made from ? toothpaste   8)

slipper

• Modder
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 03:50:23 PM »

Benitomuso,

Could you possibly in the future, make a H2S version for the Halifax and Lancaster please, that mainly just shows the map? Also the B-17 and B-24 carried the H2X, a similar radar to H2S.

The mod sounds brilliant mate, well done.

regards

slipper

DaC

• Zewel von Lelek
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 07:39:49 AM »

is this a WIP?

benitomuso

• SAS Team
  • P.A.L.
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 08:36:37 AM »

is this a WIP?

Yes, basically it is. This post was to gather candidates to help in 3D of the cockpits of the plane but I didn't succeed on that task.

The radar themselves work but at the same time we are trying to establish some standard patterns with the people of the JetWar for making a comprehensive support of radars / electronic meassures, etc. for post war planes.

I'm not with much time to work on this projects but probably I will release a basic version of this big birds and the rest will remain for the future.

Regards,
                   Pablo

DaC

• Zewel von Lelek
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 03:02:09 PM »

Magnificient job, then; I am wishing you (and your team, if you are not alone) good luck. It would be fantastic to have working RADAR in Il-2.

slipper

• Modder
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2011, 04:28:24 PM »

Benitomuso,

Would there be any chance of doing an H2S version for RAF Bombers at all please?

regards

slipper

Wildchild

• Bf 109 Killer
    • This is my professional racing page. Please check it out!
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2011, 04:43:34 PM »

Hey dude these planes r awesome. But, how do you get to the radar screen?
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 23 queries.