Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Historical Information at the top of the SAS newline  (Read 970 times)

Moggy Cattermole

• Lt Clack, Lt Boyce, Cpl Pike, PC Palmer
  • Modder
  • 1RIFLES - 1QDG - 4SCOTS - MPS 2185SO
Historical Information at the top of the SAS newline
« on: April 14, 2011, 01:10:41 AM »

As you chaps are no doubt aware, Howlin has been given access to the newsline to make updates with historical information - on this day etc.

I volunteered for that as well, and so I was wondering, do you have any feedback for the stuff currently up there? One of the messages news bites was about the Royal marines landing in Norway in 1940 on this day; the other about a pivotal moment in English History. As things stand, I was thinking along the lines one 'on this day' post regarding the second world war, and another on any random interesting or important historical event. It just happened to be the Battle of Barnet; if it had been two days earlier, the first manned space flight would have surely won out.

Where do you want to go from here? More war stuff? Different historical events? Imnportant social or scientific discoveries? I appreciate that picking random historical events might not be for everyone - a russian might be rather unmoved by the knowledge that today, 540 years ago, the Wars of the Roses finally began to conclude and at the sametime, I myself was rather indifferent to the knowledge that yesterday was the 268th birthday of Thomas Edison.

Thoughts?

cgagan

• SAS Team
Re: Historical Information at the top of the SAS newline
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 01:19:23 AM »

As a historian by profession, I believe that this post should host any information of historical value, related to any country (within the commonly accepted limits of what constitutes an "important historical event"). The fact that this is a multi-national and mutli-cultural site offers in my opinion a brilliant opportunity to get together and exchange what each individual (national culture) holds as historically important event. This would lead to a creative and perhaps educating exchange,

Eexhaton

• Ancient Entity
  • Modder
  • Bukakke Blitzkrieg!
Re: Historical Information at the top of the SAS newline
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 10:29:26 AM »

Feedback; i'd love to see any (unbiased) historical events, facts and as cgagan said "educative" content.

However; leave the spelling errors out! ;) :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 21 queries.