Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Tracers and Smoke Trails v1.4 (with tracers disabler / enabler)  (Read 33292 times)

benitomuso

• SAS Team
  • P.A.L.

PAL Tracers and SmokeTrails MOD - v1.4 for 4.12.2m (wind speed considered, etc)

Main new feature in this version:
 you can supress the tracers / smoketrails of all the weapons with a single setting.

I have made some corrections to the He-219 of CY6 and reverted the weapons to the standard tracer ones (because at night is impossible to hit anything without tracers), but the typical discussion about tracers emerged again.

So why adapting the weapons of the planes, redefining stock behaviours of the game plane by plane, etc? If the question is To Trace or Not To Trace, just with my MOD use this settings in the Conf.ini and you can disable all the tracers and all the smoketrails without rewritting code for each plane:

[Mods]
    PALNoTracers=1
    PALNoSmoketrails=1

So easy like that, so straight, so universal. Those who hate tracers will not see them anymore (and probably would gain some FPSs).

The rest of the MOD makes all what my original one did, except that I touched up some of the effects to make the smoketrails more transparent and more natural in some way. The original post is here:

Since the very early time I started to play IL-2, I was completely astonished by the size of the stock tracers used for the game. They are terribly big. Much more than any real tracer is seen in normal conditions in reality. They are basically 6m long, which is huge. There are many MODs around which changed the textures of the Tracers to make them less neon kind, but basically none attacked the real problem, the 3D object. Some time ago I edited the tracers objects, and I reduced them drastically, to be 1:5 in length of the original ones.

Originals (stock ones):

Edited (MOD ones):

Another very uncomfortable thing were the SmokeTrails, which were usually my main concern. The problem that they caused to the FPS counter when you are in high flak or very intense aereal fight is basically unbearable. Does this look logical?:

The answer is NO, it doesn't happen in reality, just take a look at any of the videos available in YouTube or ask your grandparents.

So I decided to make something more real and at the same time more fps friendly:

How I did it?: I divided the 3 different effects used for smoketrails into 3 different levels of them (9 total instead of the original 3), I reduced drastically the visibility distance and I edited the Gun class to trigger the smoketrails in a differential way depending if they are:

-For your own plane (the more detailed ones because they are part of the immersion of the game).
  -Other planes (you don't need that the game engine waste precious time in making detailed trails as above).
  -Ground forces (they only emit a trail time to time and the mildest one).

Another thing that I added: now it is altitude dependant. Water condensation is not the same for any altitude. Here are 3 different levels (mainly seen for your own plane).

-From 0m to 300m.
  -From 300m to 1000m.
  -From 1000m onwards.

Try them and let me know what do you think.

New from v1.1:

all the effects were edited and adjusted to give a more random visual. The difussion of the smokes is more natural, and they present a kind of intermitent behaviour similar to Philip.ed ones but from my point of view and mantaining the concept of the different levels of smoketrail effects. Mainly I consider these edited ones more "speed respectful" considering what we can see in film footage of WWII.

New from V1.3:

v4.101m compatible, disables / enables all tracers and smoketrails, adjusted transparency of smoketrails.

New from V1.4:

v4.12.2m compatible, includes Santobr code changes (not Camera trails) made over my concept.

Regards,
                             Pablo

saab ja26

Re: Tracers and Smoke Trails v1.3 (tracers disabler / enabler)
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 07:51:12 PM »

many thanks for this!
Ryzen 5 2600/Wraith Prism, 32GB RAM, Gigabyte B450 Ds3h RGB, 8gb Radeon RX 580 4TB HDD

McWolf

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 03:18:41 AM »

I love the mod, and erase those crazy grey skynet!

Thanks Pablo.

PO_MAK_249RIP

• CMON U SPURS!
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 07:06:02 AM »

Fab! I hated those grey flak trails totally unrealistic !!

BTW, Great improvement love it !!

UPDATE - Anyone having FPS issues when in heavy flak should give this a go
Corsair Carbide case, Intel core i5 4690 3.5ghz with Arctic Cooler, Asus Rock H97 performance, MSI Ventus XS OC 1660GTX 6GB DDR6, 32GB Patriot Viper 1600Mhz, 256GB/500GB Crucial SSDs, Windows 10 64bit.

Sandmann

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 09:10:56 AM »

It is very good idea to separate the effects of smoketrails into several types. Great mod!
But it seems the mod affects navigation lights. They are visible only up to 600 - 650 meters.

Hey_Joe

• Just having some fun
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 02:44:07 AM »

Another thing that I added: now it is altitude dependant. Water condensation is not the same for any altitude. Here are 3 different levels (mainly seen for your own plane).

-From 0m to 300m.
  -From 300m to 1000m.
  -From 1000m onwards.

Try them and let me know what do you think.

Hi Pablo,
Just tried your mod in my 4.101 #SAS install. The part you spoke of above is really good.  ;)

Bullets never had rocket motors. Lol

For my taste, these are the ones. Thanks for sharing your work.

HJ

Whiskey_Sierra_972

• Modder
  • In memory of my beloved hero: Saburo SAKAI!
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 03:07:01 AM »

Hi mate!

Yesterday I was testing the new clouds by Bender and I discovered the trails from plane in quote (was flying at 2000mt) disappear in the clouds and reappear behind....a non real way to give immersion!!

I tested it in a vanilla installation with stock clouds and the situation happen again!

Bullet and trails path

Passing behind clouds from external view

Same as above but in no cockpit view

Here are the link to download the images for a better size:

http://i614.photobucket.com/albums/tt222/waltersolito/2304201110-55-55.jpg
http://i614.photobucket.com/albums/tt222/waltersolito/2304201110-57-00.jpg
http://i614.photobucket.com/albums/tt222/waltersolito/2304201110-58-02.jpg

Any chance to get also an effect hierarchy to avoid such bug?

All the best!

walter

Wildchild

• Bf 109 Killer
    • This is my professional racing page. Please check it out!
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 06:58:42 PM »

oooo downloading now... wait will i need tthis if i have the plutonium mod?

SAS~Tom2

• SAS Honourable Member
  • no sweat
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2011, 12:15:08 PM »

Downloading,look very much forward to it for my 4.101 install. :)

Thanks!

T.

FOX_11_GUY

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2011, 07:48:03 PM »

Is there a way to only change the ground AA's smoke trail? Can I just delete parts of the file here and there?

benitomuso

• SAS Team
  • P.A.L.
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2011, 08:54:33 PM »

Is there a way to only change the ground AA's smoke trail? Can I just delete parts of the file here and there?

No Fox, the way this works is at general level of the GunSmokes. The game didn't differentiate at all on it. I made that division between alttitude, etc., but there aren't more chances of customization. It could be very complicated to add such specific thing as individual effects for ground AA.

Regards,
                       Pablo

rascal1964

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2011, 05:06:13 PM »

I looked closely in my game conf. file and I could not locate the PALNoTracers or PALNoSmoke Trails .
I tried creating it just like it says  , but the game would not start up like that . Anyone have an idea ?
It would sure be nice to disable the smoke trails - they really cut down the FPS in the game :-\
By the way---fantastic mod
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 23 queries.