Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: All you must know about SFS mods  (Read 34007 times)

SAS~CirX

• R.I.P.
  • SAS Honourable Member
  • No Zips, Only Buttons
All you must know about SFS mods
« on: April 08, 2011, 01:27:30 PM »

About SAS and SFS archives:

In general:

From time to time, or for certain types of MODS, we will have them packed into SFS archives.
This is the  game's native format. So where a mod in your MODS or FILES folder will significantly slow down your game's loading time, the same mod in SFS, will have virtualy no influence on that at all. SFS archives are also compressed, so they take up less disk space.

For modders who want to extract files from our SFS archives, they can use SFS extractor as usual, and we will try with every archive to include a complete filelist for it in the download.

We have now had enough of these types to justify their own forum. As this method of packing is very restricted, only admins will be able to start new topics in this forum.

When you use an SFS archive, which contain mods or sounds or skins or anything else, you can remove they mods it has in from your mods folder.

Or you can overwrite the SFS content with content in your mods folder, just like the regular modded game.

We will post all SFS mods here, seperately from the main downloads forum, since they realy do fall into their own catagory.

Compatibility:

Check the icons in the thread as always, to see if an archive is suitable for 4.09 or 4.10 modded games.

These archives are generaly not compatible with packs for online players, unless that pack has left "placeholder" SFS archives in their pack for us, which you can just swop out.

For others, be aware that adding new SFS archives to your online play game will almost definitely affect your security checks.

Out SFS archives are generally aimed at users of SAS Modacts, but there will be stuff that benifits everyone, and we are glad for that.

Installation:

To install an SFS archive, you need to only do 2 things:

1) Put the SFS archive you downloaded (the files with the .SFS extention) into your main game folder.
2) Find the .rc file in your pack or modactivator. Usually it is in FILES, inother modacts it may be elsewhere. Search for it.

In SAS Modact 3.x, the .rc file is in #SAS\STD\.rc 

The add a line to the .rc file to "mount" the SFS archive when your game loads

the lines for that are at the end of the .rc file.

The lower in the list an archive is, the higher it's status. So, if archive A is lower in the list than archive X, then archive A will overwrite content in archive X.

See your archives readme or thread for suggestions of where to add the line.

An example of such a line is:

@sfs MOUNT fb_sound06.sfs

You can open the .rc file with notepad or wordpad, and just press save and close it when your are finished.

If you want to uninstall the SFS archive, just remove it's line from the RC file. The archive can then still stay in your game folder, or you can remove it. If the line is not in the .rc file, it doesnt matter, it wont be loaded.

Troubleshooting:

If you did something wrong, then either your game will start but you will not see the stuff that is suppesd to be in the archive (it did not load), or you will have a crash at 5% of the load of the game.

If you have a 5% crash, then you either have the wrong line in your .rc file, or you have a line in your .rc file for an SFS archive you dont have in your game folder. (or is corrupted...however, if you got it from us, the download will not be openable by 7z if it is corrupted anyway, so if you got it out of the zipped download without hassles, it is probably fine)

Simple as that.

Enjoy these mods!

A big thanx to Lutz, and HaDes, who made it possible for me to start this SFS board.

S!
CirX

cartfather229

Re: All you must know about SFS mods
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 07:02:59 PM »

Hi there.
I'm not really new to the world of downloads on IL-2 1946, like skins, missions, patches, etc. But, I'd like to start modding, but I don't know where to start! For instance: I'd like to install the Bf-109 Ultimate Pack v3.1 but, I don't know what I need to do, in terms of installation, prerequisites, etc. Please help, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

SAS~CirX

• R.I.P.
  • SAS Honourable Member
  • No Zips, Only Buttons
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 07:22:31 PM »

visit the tutorials section, and read it. ;)

Paulo Hirth

• MOD is Life!
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 12:49:16 PM »

hello CirX! Can you do a tutorial to show the way to do a SFS sound file? I have a very special "hand seleted" colection of better sound files.

SAS~CirX

• R.I.P.
  • SAS Honourable Member
  • No Zips, Only Buttons
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 12:59:39 PM »

see my answer in tech help to this same question.

there will be no tutorials, no discussion , no explanation of SFS packing, I have already asked everyone politely in the announcement section.

I dont have an SFS packer, I only have ACCESS to one, or three.

If SAS turns into SFS hunting party, that access will dissapear.

so, the end of discussion please.

https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,14360.0.html

Paulo Hirth

• MOD is Life!
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 07:21:34 PM »

Ok, no problem, thanks.

SAS~CirX

• R.I.P.
  • SAS Honourable Member
  • No Zips, Only Buttons
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2011, 07:42:42 PM »

Thanx. I look forward to the pack you may compile, and hope we can put it into SFS for all users to enjoy in future. :)

Kopfdorfer

• Potez 63.11 France's most significant AC in 1940
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 10:45:04 AM »

A brief question :

CirX, though you state specifically that SFS files are stored in your main game folder - as anyone who has ever looked at the IL2 file structure is aware -you did not address (as far as I can see in your instructional post) whether SFS files installed into the mod file would function.
I understand that the .rc (means what?) addition to the "files" file is the indicator to the game of what sfs files to load; I am just wondering if the game would load sfs files stored in the mod folder?

Hope this isn't an asinine question.

Kopfdorfer 

SAS~CirX

• R.I.P.
  • SAS Honourable Member
  • No Zips, Only Buttons
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 12:42:14 PM »

no, actually it is an interesting question. I have not tried that before, you should try it, and tell.
I doubt it will work, as there is not for a mods folder prepared the decryption that is available for the main game files.

for all I know, .rc stands for "RoyalHigness CirX" ;D. Seriously though, I am sure I know, but I am not in faculty to use my brain effectively at this moment. :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 25 queries.