Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: ***Awesome Freetrack Ir Mod***  (Read 38886 times)

McWolf

Re: ***Awesome Freetrack Ir Mod***
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2011, 12:00:23 AM »

Hi,

for people with installation problems i covered this solution:

Step 1
- Download Paulies solution kit www.dk7by.de/soft/PS3.zip.
- unzip into a folder you whish
- connect camera, wait until installation fails
- install driver manual with the hardware manager with the obove included PS3EyeCamera.inf

Step 2 register PS3EyeAxFilter.ax

- start cmd as an administrator (Ctrl+Shift Enter)
- regsvr32.exe Laufwerk:\Verzeichnis\PS3EyeAxFilter.ax [enter]

ready.

Testet with Facetrack NoIR 1.4

Cheers Paulie

Hi Paulie
I am very interested in the performance. PS3 Eye with Facetrack, is it workable and better than Freetrack. I tested Freetrack before, it's very good and playable in IL2, just not convenience as Facetrack. I test Facetrack with a PC camera, FPS is too low, not workable for me. but it's indeed very interesting. Thanks

SEE47

« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2011, 01:17:01 PM »

Just replaced my VX1000 with a PS3 eye and used the Codelabs driver and patch fix for FT2.2.
Initially FT crashed but found that setting the Cam at 100FPS first and then disabling the multiplier and adjusting the frame rate to  100 in FT seemed to cure the problem.    A significant improvement and recommended for any FT owner still using conventional 30fps cams......bin them!

Bash

« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2011, 04:35:32 PM »

Hey See47,

Can you share your settings I have ps3eye setup with my facetrackernoir 1.6

Also, to unlock fps what n where did you do to unlock ps3eye fpas over 30??

Thank You

el bradipo

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2012, 07:44:03 AM »

My experience:Microsoft vx 3000 (new, 38 euros) big problems with lags, drivers (o.s. microsoft xp 32 sp3 win 7/64 - drivers microsoft not fully compatibles and not full uninstalled), resources.
Ps3 web (used, 10 euros with warranty): good:60fps no jitters without touch ir filter, drivers (with connexion no problem); bad:installation offline drivers (paulie's solution now offline), code laboratories don't have a off-line driver; freetrack (this is freetrack problem, not updated)error "access violation..." solved with patchfix and o.s. updates.For me Web ps3 is a PERSONAL good improvement, thanks baracca!Happy new year all ;D

Baracca

• Modder
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2012, 02:03:59 PM »

Something about how work a Track Ir and how much FPS neeed it . ;)

http://naturalpointofview.blogspot.com/p/naturalpoint-statements.html

The Ubisoft IL2 forums used to have a 13 page thread created in 2007 titled 'Free head tracking' in which the NaturalPoint President (posting under NP_TrackIR) personally responded to webcam head tracking. It no longer exists but the first page can still be found on The Internet Archive, since other topics from around the same time still exist it could have been selectively removed when they started censoring FreeTrack.

"As the main hardware engineer for NaturalPoint, I feel qualified to comment on the difference between TrackIR and a web cam, and that difference is large.

TrackIR is a 120 FPS B&W sensor an FPGA for image processing and a USB bridge chip, along with a custom lens / IR Filter and IR LEDs. The only thing this has in common with a web cam is the USB interface.

Web cams have color sensors, which degrade resolution, especially in the IR region, they have very slow shutter times, so you get a lot of motion blur when trying to track points and they are slow, only 30FPS. Not to mention the lack of built in image processing to find the points to track. If you view the image from a web cam when tracking points, notice the large blurs that result when you move your head with some urgency, these are not points, and will not be tracked with accuracy.

FPS is VERY important. You can not simulate samples by interpolating, especially with human head movement. We have found in our extensive testing that anything less than 80FPS is noticeable by users as added lag.I have seen stated in some recent forum posts that there is no reason to go faster than 30FPS, and that humans can't tell the difference between 33ms of delay and 8ms (with TrackIR). The eye can tell reaction times very easily, just look at hand movement and the perception of movement of the cursor on the screen. No mice run at 30 FPS.

When evaluating the web cam based software, it is clear that there are filters in the motion and that it is not precise. There are high pass filters to remove head motion, this is not an absolute optical pointing device, like TrackIR.

One good way to test the true optical accuracy of a device is to turn off all filtering. When comparing the resulting motion of web cam based software and TrackIR, the resolution difference is apparent.

TrackIR is not mainly hardware, it is hardware and software working together as a PRODUCT.

Making comparisons to TrackIR, when not even owning one seems irresponsible to me. We have tried the web cam "experiences" and we are glad to see that people are having fun making tracking devices, but there is a very large difference in the motion quality of TrackIR and a web cam based system, it isn't even close in my personal use. The precision of TrackIR and the detailed, patented math that is Vector and True View are not replicated in web cam based software.<-----That's true but whit PS3 eye Cam you are running better that whit any other Classic Cam to 30 fps and the comprimise and the results it's more than acceptable if you think that just you "WASTE" 24 $. :D

It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt! by George Eliot

Baracca

• Modder
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2012, 05:28:29 AM »

CPU usage

The Nintendo Wii Remote effectively uses no CPU, NaturalPoint cameras use a small amount and general video devices can use a significant amount depending on the brand and the specific camera settings in use. A PlayStation Eye running at the same resolution and frame rate as a TrackIR 4 would be very demanding on a single-core CPU. However, modern multi-core CPUs are making this less of an issue.
Resolution and frame rate can always be reduced to conserve CPU resources.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About that comparation you can see that the PS3 Eye it's the best cam for Freetrack users about FPS
When you run the Freetrack it will work in video mode and that's mind that will capture the images for to be transmitted like video to the your Monitor PC, FPS = frames per second = Images for second.

You have think about the video whit your Cam like a Cartoon movie.....many images that run in high speed (images for second) come out an animations (video),it's not exact to 100% but that was for give you just a simple example of course!

Ah!....This rule is also applied to video games and their graphics cards...images...always images for second (FPS)!

We know that a Web Cam can "BEGIN" to work well if it run about to 30 FPS (30 images for second) ,for not lagging video,but this is a half true,because if for a video conference 30 fps can to be nice, in Freetrack mode this rules is not valid.

Let's me explain:

If you move your head fast, like when your are in panic inside your cockpit plane because you are losing your enemies target,and you risk that it's coming for attack you from any direction, you will begin to watch to...6 o'clock--5 o'clock---7 o'clock---12 o'clock---6 o'clock again etx...etx..Ok?...It 'is very likely that on this occasion your track ir does not respond very well ... like if it triggering or it's not more smooth = LAG!!!!

Why?

Because your Web Cam it's not enough fast for reproduce alls that moviments, and 30 FPS, they are insufficient in that circumstance,you will need 50..60 FPS or more.

You can try also whit this Web Cam test:

http://mailvu.com/testCamera/TestYourWebCam.html

Hard question:
Whic Cam will play with more possibility of a smooth video?....Web Cam whit High FPS or Web Cam whit Standard FPS?
;)

If I explain well the concept about FPS I hope that some problems about your Web Cam and Freetrack can be solved by yourself.... to 90%! :D

It's a good idea to move your affinity core about Freetrack.exe and Track IR.exe and Team Speak.exe in another core that's not the same about IL2.exe (you can check whit task manager..usually IL2 run to core 0)..like core 1 or core 2,depend whic type of cpu you get...dual core...triple core...quad core etx..etx.

This is a little way for keep the principal core free whitout background process that can suck some memory cpu, and a IL2 enjoy!!

Un arrivederci a tutti!

LuseKofte

« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2012, 06:28:14 AM »

Okey, I have cleaned up this thread a bit. It is clear that many has tested this with good result and one has with bad result. However this person did not come up with a solution only a bit of disturbance. Sorry if anyone is offended by me deleting some postings, but we really do not seeking problems, we look for solutions.
This facetrackir is as I understand it one of the most effective and I am sure not without bugs, then again TrackIr 5 isnt perfect either.

Thanks to Baracca for a very informative topic. And if anyone has anything to add it better be something in the line of needing help or provide useful information. Anything else will be deleted and the poster will get warned. I hate beeing a nanny

Roger Smith

• "Cast in the name of God, ye not guilty" -Big O Boot up message
  • HgZ? He's just another Jason Beck
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2012, 08:09:05 AM »

I'm using this software with Natural Point's TrackClipPro. It works very well, I've only had a few problems but that's only because of the HP webcam I use.

As for PS3eye, I don't think the IR filter can be removed anymore. I think the config has changed, making the IR filter impossible to reach.

wiegerthefarmer

« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2012, 10:50:45 AM »

Is the autofocus effected when removing the IR filter?  I removed the IR filter in a Creative Camera, and the autofocus went all crazy.  We also filtered out visible light, so that might have been an issue.

Roadking

« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2014, 09:25:42 AM »

Hey fellas!
Hoping you can help me. I built my 3 led cap and have the ps3eye cam. removed filter lens,and installed white light filter from old floppy, downloaded the freetrack software and when I click start it crashes. I get the message there was an error and windows has shut down the program.

The eyecam test shows me in smudged grey and white and is picking up the leds nice and bright.

I'm running win7 pro 64bit. the software loaded into win86. I tried the run as admin and no help.
I've downloaded the hack fix I think for the ps3eye cam driver ( 3 files) loaded them into the freetrack folder. No help.
I can open the freetrack file and choose the 3 led cap config. And choose the ps3eye cam under camera tab drop down. As soon as I hit start the screen goes light grey and after about 20 seconds I get the windows message.
I'm hoping its just a driver issue or maybe a resolution setting. I tried changing the setting in ps3eye to 320x120. No help

Roadking

« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2014, 06:43:36 AM »

Ok update:
I D/L FacetrackNoiR and it would crash every two minutes. Had a squadmate savvy in pc programing send me his .ini file and after swapping it out it Works! Freetracker did not work for me.

I am using a homebuilt LED cap wired in parallel, with 2AA battery pack zip tied to back of hat band. All light weight and easy to wear. I do not use a headset so this worked for me. I have about $26 US. in whole setup, and altho a bit of software issues, it works great!

If you can use a soldering gun and find some old telephone wire its definatley worth your time!

W0W66

« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2019, 05:20:19 PM »

Sorry to oust in an old thread, but I found a video on youtube explaining how to DIY a IR headseat.  Qestion I have is: Is the circuit design correct/safe? Any electricians about?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 22 queries.