Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Hawaiian Islands repaint by Whitecat - Download now v1.1  (Read 58458 times)

WhiteCat

• Modder
Hawaiian Islands repaint by Whitecat - Download now v1.1
« on: November 08, 2010, 03:07:46 PM »

Hi, this is the last mod of The Pacific for now (and I suspect the last mod for a long time) :)

I must say that the original by Porto72 and Saburo Sakai is an amazing map. Not only very accurate in terms of geography and allocation of textures, but also in terms of objects, they are placed so well matching with the textures that I couldn't be very creative with cities and agriculture, so I decided to change in the end only the color of them. It was a map created with love so I tried to repaint it with love also. It has been both a challenge and a great experience to repaint this map, hope you enjoy it and that you don't find too many defects :)

Note: there were requests for adding smoke to the volcanoes but I couldn't in the end, to be honest I don't know very well how because I couldn't open the original actors.static in modded mode. But they could be added in a mission. Feel free to post that, and many screenshots with Sabres also ;)

Porto72-Saburo Sakai Hawaiian Islands repainted by Whitecat 1.1

Link: https://www.mediafire.com/file/xu7q55qc6ylopui/00_whc_Retextured_Hawaiian_Islands_v.1.1.zip

Credits:

- Oleg & team of course
- Special thanks to Porto72 and Saburo Sakai this amazing map, very few are populated with so much detail as this one.
- Thanks also to SAS-Bombsaway for the support and for showing me Genetica for the lava textures.
- Thanks to Mixx for his textures, some of them have been the base for the textures in this map.
- Thanks to Avala for his beach, I modified the color but used the texture.
- Please excuse me if I forget anyone else, it's completely unintentional.

Instructions to install:

- Delete previous folders of 00_whc_Retextured_Hawaiian_Islands
- Copy the folder 00_whc_Retextured_Hawaiian_Islands_v1.1 into MODS folder.
- Add the lines in add_to_all_ini.txt to your MODS/Mapmods/maps/all.ini

If you want to use the missions you have already in these maps you have to change the 2nd line
of each .mis file from

MAP tc_hawaain-islands/load.ini

to:

MAP tc_hawaain-islands/whc_load.ini

Enjoy!

A screenshot with a WhiteCat :) :

Fusek

Re: Hawaiian Islands repaint by Whitecat
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 03:10:51 PM »

Very impressive, you captured the feel of millions of individual trees really well!

SAS~Tom2

• SAS Honourable Member
  • no sweat
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 12:56:18 PM »

Keep up the good work..Hawaii is always a nice addition for an alternative map. :)

Cheers

Triad773

• Triad's website
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 02:08:15 PM »

Is this the stock or the Saburo Sakai one from AAS?

See here for more info http://allaircraftsimulations.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=126&t=21776&p=339665#p339665

I remember Redko talking about this map (if it is Saburo Sakai) and he said he didn't think he could improve it much. That and it is a big map. BTW I contacted Le0ne and he is settingup some QMBs for it :)

Looks nice though :)

Even a stock repaint would help.

Cheers

Thomas

SAS~Tom2

• SAS Honourable Member
  • no sweat
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 03:59:27 PM »

I think it is the stock map IIRC. ;)

The other one is a big and very artful "monster".

Uufflakke

• Modder
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 04:02:17 PM »

To answer your question. If you really want to know how Hawaii looks like I think SAS1946 should buy you a ticket to fly over the island.  ;D
But seriously, every single photo you find on the internet will have a different look. Even unedited tourist images at Flickr.com, Imageshack or Photobucket will all be different as we don't know the settings of every individual digital camera. Another thing is that besides this the time of day and season will influence colours of the photos. And pictures taken from ground will look different than taken from a plane. In my opinion the mountains look a bit too bright, yellowish green in your screenshot. I would prefer a bit cooler to the blue side. As seen from the air vegetation will look a bit more blueish because of the air density.
Something similar Redko did with his Okinawa and Japan map.
But it's all up to you of course.  ;)
"The Best Things In Live Aren't Things"

WhiteCat

• Modder
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 04:20:45 PM »

Very impressive, you captured the feel of millions of individual trees really well!

Cheers pal, I think the jungle textures are very important

WhiteCat

• Modder
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2010, 04:32:16 PM »

Is this the stock or the Saburo Sakai one from AAS?

See here for more info http://allaircraftsimulations.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=126&t=21776&p=339665#p339665

I remember Redko talking about this map (if it is Saburo Sakai) and he said he didn't think he could improve it much. That and it is a big map. BTW I contacted Le0ne and he is settingup some QMBs for it :)

Looks nice though :)

Even a stock repaint would help.

Cheers

Thomas

It's the Saburo Sakai one. Well, if Redko is not interested in the map, good, so we don't overlap work :) The fact that it's a big map is only an issue if you want to change coastlines, cities, airfields (thing I tend to avoid so we don't have problems with existing missions, and I can give you two or three examples of repainted maps over which you can't play Philk's wonderful populated missions, thing that annoys me so much being an offline player) or if you want to change the distribution of the textures of the map.

Now, it's true I see no reason to change either cities, airfields or coastlines for this map, it's really good on that, and pretty good on distribution of textures. For the textures itself, well, I'll give it a go and we'll see the results :)

WhiteCat

• Modder
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2010, 04:33:53 PM »

I think it is the stock map IIRC. ;)

The other one is a big and very artful "monster".

Nobody stops us to reuse the textures for this one in the stock map when it's finished :)

WhiteCat

• Modder
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2010, 04:48:03 PM »

To answer your question. If you really want to know how Hawaii looks like I think SAS1946 should buy you a ticket to fly over the island.  ;D
But seriously, every single photo you find on the internet will have a different look. Even unedited tourist images at Flickr.com, Imageshack or Photobucket will all be different as we don't know the settings of every individual digital camera. Another thing is that besides this the time of day and season will influence colours of the photos. And pictures taken from ground will look different than taken from a plane. In my opinion the mountains look a bit too bright, yellowish green in your screenshot. I would prefer a bit cooler to the blue side. As seen from the air vegetation will look a bit more blueish because of the air density.
Something similar Redko did with his Okinawa and Japan map.
But it's all up to you of course.  ;)

The ticket thing would be great, I really DO need holidays :D

Regarding the bright color or not, it goes by days, but take a look for example to this captures from a BBC documentary I was watching this evening, it's Hawaii:

Anyway, my taste is more colorful than Redko's, we have had conversations on that since my first Kyushu's repaint which inspired him to start repainting. My opinion it's to be more colorful and let the IL2 engine to do the job with hazy weather for example. And I've focused always more on having better experience from low altitude rather than high altitude, something Redko has started to do in desert maps, in the previous maps he focused in the opposite.

But don't worry, I'll publish sooner or later my new version of Kyushu and Okinawa so you can decide :)

BravoFxTrt

• "BIGFOOT"
  • Modder
  • Flying Ass Clown #13
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2010, 06:27:39 PM »

Breath taking.
MSI R9 280X 6GB x2/Crossfire /ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 Mobo/AMD FX 4170 Bulldozer 4core CPU/RAM Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB/ Corsair RM 1000WATT PSU/Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit

WhamO

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2010, 07:25:10 PM »

i thought jurassic park had some lovely hawaiian footage...

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 13   Go Up

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 23 queries.