Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Arrestor Cable Static Object? (for runways)  (Read 9859 times)

hanspeterii

Arrestor Cable Static Object? (for runways)
« on: May 19, 2012, 08:34:33 AM »

Hello  everyone,
There are arrestor cables on many modern (military) runways. They are there to ease emergency landings which require a much higher landing speed and anything of that nature.

These cables were also used to be able to operate aircraft like for example the F-104 Starfighter or the F-4 Phantom on runways not longer than a carrier's deck, so the aircraft could still be used when parts of the runway were blocked or destroyed. Since the game is moving closer to that era, I think it would be good to have this.

They look like this (don't have to look like that in game, a copy of a carrier cable would be great) and are usually mounted at 2/3 of the runway's lenght.

Little more info: Arresting Gear - Wikipedia See Land Based Systems.

So, my request is: Does anybody with some 3D skills want to copy an arrestor cable from a carrier's deck and try to get it in game as a placable object? (IF that is possible)
Would be very much appreciated and in my opinion be a great addition to the game.
Thanks for reading! :)

mojojojo

• the only guy who uses the wildcat in multiplayer
Re: Arrestor Cable Static Object? (for runways)
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 09:55:08 AM »

good idea +1
i7 4790K quad core 4.4GHz/8GB DDR3-1600/ASUS Z87-A/ EVGA GTX 970 4GB/128GB A-Data SSD+1TB HDD/EVGA 650w 80+ gold PSU/ NZXT Source 530 gaming case

Diving_Hawk

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 12:00:55 PM »

What about a dummy ship without all the meshes,
Without any colision so it does not explode

And just a single wire a bit above the ground surface.
Maybe it could work.

I will test that tomorrow if I can and post back the results.

hanspeterii

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 01:08:11 PM »

Thanks, Diving_Hawk, that sounds good!

Diving_Hawk

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 04:17:55 AM »

Well it certainly is possible. Tried it with a CV.

All you need to do is make a hull objects that can for this case be the edges of the arrestor wires, the connectors.
And then place tow hooks like if it was a carrier.
There is only one downside that it might not be in correct height for all AFs.

But at least it's sth.

I don't have the time to built it currently as I'm working on the Iowa but I suppose it is a fairly easy job for any shipbuilder to do.

hanspeterii

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 05:35:31 AM »

Thanks for the info.

I don't think the height is that important as long as it's working.

Do you know of any tutorials explaining how to do that? If there is one, I'll try to build it.

Diving_Hawk

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 06:27:31 AM »

I can't remember of any tutorials about how to build a basic carrier with arrestors.

Your best bet I guess would be to check some existing mods for the knoweledge you need and see how to do it by the ships already in game.

In a sum,
*you need the edges of the arrestor to serve as vital ship part
*Then you need a classfile for your arrestor( or dummy carrier)(you can also use existing)
*You need to give it the hooks it needs( see some meshes for that, objects for wires beggin with "tow" if I remember well)

If all is well after that you will see it ingame.

Gaunt596

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 03:50:25 AM »

Do either of you have the files laying around? im trying to teach a few people to land on carriers and this would make the transition much easier, they can land on land bases very well.

Thanks,
Gaunt596

Fresco23

• Part-Time Skinner
  • Modder
  • F.A.C. #23
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 08:40:25 AM »

Great idea! I agree with this one... apparently even on many land based military aircraft there is an "emergency hook" for just this use.

I remember the isreali pilot who landed his F-15 with only one wing mentioned using his emergency hook because of his high landing speed on that day.
cogito, ergo sum armatus

kaxII

• Modder
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 09:11:38 AM »

+1 Will be good for the f-18 when it comes out!

duffys tavern

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 09:39:55 AM »

Looks like hook used here...

mace

• Modder
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2014, 07:16:19 AM »

As part of Project 85: Soviet Carrier Attack Group of the late 1950's, I have created an arrestor wire trap and catapult system that can be used on any airfield.

It is essentially a stationary aircraft carrier object that can be placed on any flat surface, aligned using the 7 and 9 keys in FMB and is called Rwy Trap-Cat.

You (or AI) can begin on the airfield runway’s start point and take off as normal or you can taxy up to the catapult start plate, chocks in to align with ‘cat rail’, full power and then chocks away for a catapult launch.

You (or AI) can start on the Rwy Trap-Cat (as you would on an aircraft carrier) and then just chocks away, wings extended, taxy up to the catatpult start plate, chocks in to align with ‘cat rail’, full power and then chocks away for a catapult launch.

You (or AI) can do a conventional landing on the airfield or you can extend your arrestor hook once you are on the ground and then ‘trap’ the arrestor wires as you run over them.

You (or AI) can land on the Rwy Trap-Cat (as you would on an aircraft carrier)

I usually set my airfield runways up with two Rwy Trap-Cats (one at either end) and SAS_Engine_Mod is needed to set the ‘cat’ parameters via the catapults.ini file.

[RwyTrapCat]
dCatapultOffsetX    1.6
dCatapultOffsetY  -20.0
catapultPower     19
catapultPowerJets 25
bSteamCatapult 1

Only tested in 4.122m with SAS Modact 5.3 & 4.101m with SAS Modact 3.06.  Beta release is a few months away.

cheers mace
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 26 queries.