Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Cape Gloucester Map  (Read 27021 times)

agracier

• Modder
    • The Great War in a Different Light
Cape Gloucester Map
« on: September 17, 2010, 11:34:57 AM »

It's time for a new map. Here is a link for a map of the Cape Gloucester area in New Britain. Those of you who have seen 'the Pacific' will know a bit more about the area.

As maps go, this is a companion map to New Georgia. It has the same look and feel with similar styled FMB maps. It does however use different textures, which should hopefully give it a different look. It's also fortunate that this map happened to be finished around the time the new Tainan-Kosho pack came out.

The map is, as is typical for PTO maps, rather sparsely populated. Aside from Gloucester itself, there are mainly native villages of varying sizes along with a few small harbors. My favorite area is around Lae, the airbase and town in the lower left hand corner of the map.

There are no load.ini generated trees in this map. I tried to have the textures themselves try to give an impression of dense foliage. It may work to your taste or not, but until we have some rel looking tree textures that look like tropical foliage or palm trees, I find that tree textures look too European for use on PTO maps ...

Download Link:
https://www.mediafire.com/?3jkblgwwdeerr5m

jt189

• Retired Warrior
Re: Cape Gloucester Map
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 01:39:12 PM »

Another good one to add to the Pacific war and trying to build campaigns in the Pacific. Thanks

duffys tavern

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 02:52:40 PM »

Great idea, we've needed this for a long time. However, can't save a mission in FMB. Which textures are not included with the download? Any help appreciated.

agracier

• Modder
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 02:58:51 PM »

Great idea, we've needed this for a long time. However, can't save a mission in FMB. Which textures are not included with the download? Any help appreciated.

If you can't save and fly a mission, but the map still loads, then it's not a texture that is missing.

This means that the map uses an object that you do not have installed. Now, this is a rather sparsely populated map, with a small range of objects. But with airfields and such, I might guess that you don't have Canons Channel Objects installed.

However you can find out which objects are missing by using the Universal Static.ini Checker. It will generate a list of missing objects from your version of the game.

When you get the list, it might give you a hint which mod objects pack you will need to install.

Or if you have no clue, then post the list and someone will undoubtedly recognize which pack they come from:

Universal Static.ini Checker
https://www.mediafire.com/?ytwnkhqlhnk

WhamO

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 03:31:29 PM »

Agracier.

you sir, are a god.

Thank you so very very much

edit:
just a few things, not major. ''nadzab'' is spelled nauzab on the map.

also, Lae's runway went northwest/southeast and was pretty close to the water's edge.

http://www.pacificwrecks.com/airfields/png/lae/index.html

Here is a small aerial view of Lae in its wartime setup

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

and Lae as she was looked in the 1970s.

here is the current google earth picture, taken sometime in the last decade, looking north.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

agracier

• Modder
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 04:22:26 PM »

Map download link at Mediafire just cycling again I'm afraid. :(

Here's an alternate download at Sendspace. This link doesn't stay up for very long though. Sendspace deletes after a while ... a month or so I believe.

www.sendspace.com/file/t9banv'

agracier

• Modder
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2010, 01:40:24 AM »

Another question - what is the water? What should I fix it?

The water you see, with black running underneath, is something I've never been able to fix. It is caused by having rivers running rather steeply downhill. They may very well be in their correct location on the game map, an follow the correct course and fall and all that, but sometimes you can 'see underneath' water that is more or less above your aircraft's altitude.

In your screencap you are flying lower than parts of the river in the background and therefore you can 'look up' from underneath the river bedding.

It's a bit of disappointment, but since the game was made to have nicely level flowing rivers at 0m altitude, I don't know how to fix it. It's one of those little flaws that have to be accepted as they are.

By the way, you'll probably notice that as you gain altitude, you'll start to see the river appear again as normal.

kapteeni

• Modder
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2010, 01:41:32 AM »

Cool map. AGAIN!
Look here:
Attack The Battle for New Britain
Great video about Battle for New Britain.

agracier

• Modder
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2010, 02:48:35 AM »

And what about the secret airfields?

They were so secret that even now, 70 years after the war, they are still shrouded in mystery ... ha ha

Seriously though, if anyone has any info, feel free to share or even do a bit of editing on the map itself. The more input from members the better a map can get.

mandrill

• Modder
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2010, 06:53:42 AM »

The water you see, with black running underneath, is something I've never been able to fix. It is caused by having rivers running rather steeply downhill. They may very well be in their correct location on the game map, an follow the correct course and fall and all that, but sometimes you can 'see underneath' water that is more or less above your aircraft's altitude.

In your screencap you are flying lower than parts of the river in the background and therefore you can 'look up' from underneath the river bedding.

It's a bit of disappointment, but since the game was made to have nicely level flowing rivers at 0m altitude, I don't know how to fix it. It's one of those little flaws that have to be accepted as they are.

By the way, you'll probably notice that as you gain altitude, you'll start to see the river appear again as normal.

One of the questions in map making is when to put in rivers and when to simply leave them off the map. Given the limitations of map design in IL-2, even small rivers in real life are huge on the map and look inaccurate.  I now simply leave off rivers, unless they are at least medium sized and this is far more to my taste than Oleg's system where every little creek is represented.

The question is whether to put the small mountain streams in the map at all, especially if they produce weird visual effects.

agracier

• Modder
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2010, 07:43:43 AM »

The question is whether to put the small mountain streams in the map at all, especially if they produce weird visual effects.

That is probably a good attitude to take. I have become somewhat used to getting these 'looking through the bottom' on rivers so that I am not really even aware of it. On this map, where rivers have little effect on fighting or movement it would indeed be better to leve them off in many cases.

I'll keep this in mind with an eventual update.

And on other maps in progress, there was one where the width of the rivers really bothered me. So much so that after fiddling around with the river/canal objects, I figured it best to leave the rivers off altogether in certain areas, especially if they are all going to look like wide flowing northern European rivers, instead of narrow winding streams or creeks.

I wonder if anyone has had any experience using the river/canal objects? They are a great idea, but it's a pain trying to get them to follow the lowest part of a given terrain ... they don't look so good when they flow uphill and dale and down again ...

agracier

• Modder
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2010, 08:25:19 AM »

Maybe an option to place them in the canyons and have object waterfall for the docking station?

Is there an object waterfall? If so I have never heard of it.

You can make waterfalls even now, by having a river fall over a very sharp height difference. Doesn't look too bad, but you will probably get the 'black water' thing at some point when flying around it ... doing it this last way doesn't seem worth the trouble though ...
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 24 queries.