Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to get my green grass runway plates to DIRT?  (Read 11228 times)

CzechTexan

• Modder
  • TEXAS, USA
Re: How to get my green grass runway plates to DIRT?
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2016, 02:46:57 PM »

Uzin, I like your large long object but what about all the stock airfields with taxi ways and parking spaces?  I would rather not cover them but keep them as they are.  The simple solution for that way is to replace the plates with what vpmedia offered.  This solution is only for stock maps that are being repainted.  Mod maps like Poland is OK to use a large object.

Today I have been trying to match texture colors of the RRR maps with vpmedia's plates.  I'll upload soon.  Unfortunately, they do have the "sharp" edges that are unrealistic.  But maybe that can be changed in the future.

CzechTexan

• Modder
  • TEXAS, USA
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2016, 04:42:23 PM »

I made an airfield texture to work with vpmedia's plates. 
vpmedia plates-link:  http://ulozto.net/xqGUhvs9/ground-7z

My texture - Download CTairfield link:
https://www.mediafire.com/?wrl93n2lnz8eam1

Below is from the readme------------------------------------------------------

This is made especially for the RRR maps by Cyberolas.  I love the maps but the generic "generally" airfield texture does not look very good with the green grass runway, taxi, parking plates that I had.  So, thanks to VPmedia, I got his "ground" plates which look better than the stock and other mod plates I used previously.

The problem was to match the look of these new plates with the RRR airfield textures.  I edited Cyberolas "generally" texture to make it look more grassy for the grassy plates (green grass runways do not look right on top of dirt/dry-looking textures).  Now the plates and textures match OK, in my opinion, but it could probably be done better.

My idea was to use the same texture and airfield plates for all the generic airfields on the RRR maps.
Since the Stalingrad and Smolensk maps use newer (and better IMO) textures, I tried to match those maps first.  Kursk and Prokhorovka and Kuban airfield textures may not match as well but it looks OK.

INSTALLATION:

1.  unpack the folder "new airfield texture" and copy/paste them into the each RRR map's texture folder... (MAPMODS/MAPS/_Tex/East/... [Stalingrad, Smolensk, Kursk, Prokhorovka, etc.])

2. In each RRR map's load.ini copy/paste the following line...

AirField0= East/stalingrad/Generally_airfield_grass.tga,2

NOTE:  Delete the old "Airfield0=..." line.
NOTE:  for Stalingrad_Summer map paste into the "sload" file - NOT "load" which is for winter map.

3.  Install vpmedia's runway plates:  http://ulozto.net/xqGUhvs9/ground-7z

Credits go to vpmedia, cyberolas, uzin, and any others I may have missed.

enjoy,
-CzechTexan
------------------------------------

This new texture is more green to match the plates and do not have as much contrast in color.
Smolensk

Stalingrad

Kursk

Zoran395

• Mapper
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2016, 10:16:39 PM »

Congrats!
It really does look great and convincing!
I have to try Uzin trick for ice airfields but yours look like a really great option.

For Kursk, Prokhorovka and Kuban we can always get the scalpel and perform some heavier surgery.
It's all about the blending... Thank you!

Uzin

• Modder
  • On lifetime holidays
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2016, 12:39:43 AM »

Congrats, CzechTexan !
I think you are on the right way .
Smolensk and Stalingrad are excellent !
Kursk is nice, too !

Stairs wisdom
I can recognise three cases:
1. runway is dirt by oil from exhaust of taking off crates, grass seems darkened,
2. grass is more yellow because it is withered due to increased number of takeoffs,
3. grass is destroyed , almost eradicated, the ground below is seen.
In any case, the pattern is diffuse in most cases.

and last but not least:
4. thre grass area of AF which is without trees, is better to surround by the grass texture with random trees, since crop fields surrounding AF demask it even from the distant view.

CzechTexan

• Modder
  • TEXAS, USA
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2016, 06:40:14 AM »

Thanks guys.  I've done my best with my "limited" abilities in just one day.  Perhaps someone else could improve better.  But I am happy with the results.  I never did like the stock green grass/ground runway plates because of the contrast.  This fix is more pleasing to my eye ;)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 27 queries.