Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ki-44-I-Ko  (Read 8396 times)

greybeard

• Modder
  • diligo veritatem
    • Old stuff about RB3D and a tiny "IL2 corner"
Ki-44-I-Ko
« on: September 15, 2015, 09:24:15 AM »

Dear forumites and 3D experts, please welcome following request for first operational version of the "Shoki".

Abstract (also from Wikipedia):

"Nakajima began development of the Ki-44 in 1940 as a pure interceptor with emphasis being placed on airspeed and rate of climb rather than maneuverability. A set of Ki-43 like "butterfly" combat flaps was fitted for improved maneuverability. Armament consisted of:

* Type 89, 7.7mm MG x2 (bullets 500x2) in the fuselage
* Ho-103, 12.7mm Cannon x2 (bullets 250 x2) in the wings

The engine selected for the new interceptor was Nakajima's Ha-41 14-cylinder double-row radial, originally intended for bomber aircraft. In order to achieve its design goals, the wing area was relatively small leading to a high wing loading and a comparatively high landing speed that could be daunting to the average Japanese pilot, who was more used to aircraft with a low wing loading like the Ki-44s predecessors, the Ki-43 and Ki-27.

Nine pre-production aircraft (s/n 4402-4410) were used for combat evaluation with the 47th Independent Fighter Chutai at the start of the Pacific War. Type 89 telescopic gunsight. Provision for a single droptank under the fuselage centre line on the first five experimental aircraft, and two 130 liters droptanks under the wings from 6th built onward. Recognisable by their pointed spinner caps.

Ki-44-I had no bombs.

Ki-44-I-Ko was powered by a 1,250 hp Nakajima Ha-41 engine with annular oil cooler, with a maximum speed of 580 km/h at 3700 m. Rounded spinner caps with provision for Hucks starter. Late models had external fuel coolers. Forty produced (s/n 111-150).
"

Sorry, I was unable to find a three-views drawing of this variant.

Drop tanks attachment details:

JapanCat (who did the next model, Ki-44-II-Ko), contacted on his blog, opposed an absolute denial to deal with this proposal, cause what happened with "Tainan Arsenal" about this model.

I'm available to build external flight model.

Cheers,
GB

P.S.: dimensions (in meters - from its Handbook).

Lenght: 8.90
Span: 9.45
Height: 2.90 (tail down)
Height: 3.25 (in flying position)
Tail span: 3.50
Wheel track: 3.00
At widest section of fuselage (ht x width): 1.80 x 1.05
Wing area: 15.00 sq. meters
Main wing dihedral: 6.0 degree
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 - RAM: 2GB DDR @ 201 MHz - MoBo: ASUSTeK Computer INC. A8N-SLI (Socket 939) - Vidcard: 1024MB NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT (Club3D) - Screen: L1750SQ (1280x1024@75Hz) - Audio: Realtek AC'97 Audio.

GUZKNIFE

Re: Ki-44-I-Ko
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 01:02:22 PM »

On this topic can offer - http://dfiles.ru/files/zzi2fkr8l

Paulo Hirth

• MOD is Life!
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 03:55:36 PM »

A interesting version is the KI-44 without tube gunsig, with a standart gunsig, better for dog-fight, just need a change in cockpit...

greybeard

• Modder
  • diligo veritatem
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2015, 04:55:20 PM »

Hi guys!

Sorry, forgot dimensions. First post updated.

GUZKNIFE
Thank you so much for interesting and useful drawings (especially for wing and fuselage sections). There's all the story, from first prototype - having an unique and complex cooling system - to the latest variant (Ki-44-II-Hei). Excellent, really excellent!

Paulo Hirth
Was just the last variant (Ki-44-II-Hei) the sole having its type 89 telescopic gunsight replaced with the type 100, reflector gunsight. This would be one of the next, consequent requests, if we've the fortune to get, in this occasion, a brand new 3D model of the type, since the issue you highlight was already dealt with years ago; indeed, inside the cockpit is relatively easy getting rid of tube sight, but in external view, the tube was made in a single piece with fuselage, and it looks unremovable.
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 - RAM: 2GB DDR @ 201 MHz - MoBo: ASUSTeK Computer INC. A8N-SLI (Socket 939) - Vidcard: 1024MB NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT (Club3D) - Screen: L1750SQ (1280x1024@75Hz) - Audio: Realtek AC'97 Audio.

halim_PapaKilo

• Foamers, Aviation & History Entushiast
  • Aint that a kick in the head
    • Personal Sanctuary
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2015, 06:57:54 PM »

should this topic about Ki-44-I with CRP (https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php?topic=33426.0) merged to this Ki-44-I Topic?

having the whole Ki-44-I Family alongside the Ki-44-II in IL-2 would be nice  ;)
Thou Shalt Not Despair

PA_Jeronimo

• SAS Honourable Member
  • I like curves
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2015, 01:40:00 AM »

Was just the last variant (Ki-44-II-Hei) the sole having its type 89 telescopic gunsight replaced with the type 100, reflector gunsight. This would be one of the next, consequent requests, if we've the fortune to get, in this occasion, a brand new 3D model of the type, since the issue you highlight was already dealt with years ago; indeed, inside the cockpit is relatively easy getting rid of tube sight, but in external view, the tube was made in a single piece with fuselage, and it looks unremovable.

It would not be so complicated to remove the tube.

;)

greybeard

• Modder
  • diligo veritatem
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2015, 01:56:45 AM »

should this topic about Ki-44-I with CRP (https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php?topic=33426.0) merged to this Ki-44-I Topic?

I think the link you posted is enough, if someone wants to take the challenge. Personally, I would stick with variants having historical significance.

Cheers,
GB

greybeard

• Modder
  • diligo veritatem
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2015, 02:06:57 AM »

It would not be so complicated to remove the tube.

WOW! Here is the touch of the master!

This can't remain as a pure exercise, I'm going to send you a PM.

Thank you very much for your interest.

Regards,
GB

razor1uk

• Tamago no Chie
  • Modder
  • Naturally common sence is always ignored...
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2015, 12:40:33 PM »

Nice de-scoping Jeronimo :) .I'm sure that internal (not external) cockpit wise it could be fairly easy drop in a late war style IJA reflector site.
Wasn't there used to be a auto-randomised or player coded variable sight system for the Ki-43 Hayabusa years ago ??; it gave you a year dependent, so much percentage of getting either a telescopic or reflector sight - the coding I believe could be linked to missions or to a player edited ini in its home A/C folder in the Mods/#SAS/#UP IIRC.

Though I'm sure due to the rarity of IJA reflector sights (in comparison to the numbers A/C's they had ready for Home Defence, not many 'later used' or & still airworthy Shoki's would had them fitted to all craft in a squadron - the reflectors would have more likely to be used in newer and more needed advanced fighter/interceptors.

And that is without thinking about what differences there were in the sights being manufactured and their available to/for the Imperial Army & Imperial Navy; and to how the excessive inter-service rivalries & politics affected the manufacturers and logistics.

(I'm sure the pitot tube IRL wasn't bigger in diameter than the wing MG, even a half as thick one'd be better..)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 26 queries.