Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with video pause during game play ~ SOLVED  (Read 3893 times)

dpeters95

• Modder
Help with video pause during game play ~ SOLVED
« on: January 22, 2015, 09:02:10 PM »

This problem actually occurs for me in DBW, HSFX, TFM-4.12, etc...  I am running Windows 7, Intel 3 GHZ processor, Nvidia 760 graphics card and 8 GB of ram.  I usually have 70 fps during a mission but my video always pauses for a second or two when, I believe, the enemy planes spawn and then continues on at 70 fps.  Anyone else experience this?  Any ideas how to correct it?

TIA

western0221

• Modder
  • Live in Japan
    • IL-2 itaki blog
Re: Help with video pause during game play
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 09:26:31 PM »

Look at your error log.
If that freeze is caused by IL-2, something error line (exception etc.) or warning line are written in it.

If no error lines are written in your error log, the reason of freezing is outside of IL-2.
System SSD's problem or memory problem, GPU problem or thier device drivers problem or....

Aviar

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015, 12:56:30 AM »

This problem actually occurs for me in DBW, HSFX, TFM-4.12, etc...  I am running Windows 7, Intel 3 GHZ processor, Nvidia 760 graphics card and 8 GB of ram.  I usually have 70 fps during a mission but my video always pauses for a second or two when, I believe, the enemy planes spawn and then continues on at 70 fps.  Anyone else experience this?  Any ideas how to correct it?

TIA

Sounds to me what you are experiencing is a normal phenomenon in IL-2 called 'spawn lag'. There is nothing 'wrong' with your game.

If you are playing a mission where AI planes are spawning after the mission has started, you may indeed experience spawn lag. I say 'may' because experienced mission builders have tricks that can alleviate most or all spawn lag in a particular mission.

As an aside, I recently put together a new computer and upgraded to SSD drives. Because of these fast SSD drives, I have noticed that these spawn lags are much shorter in duration, relatively speaking.

Aviar
Intel i7-4790 4-Core @3.60GHz + Asus Z97-C Motherboard + 16GB DDR-3 1600 SDRAM @800 MHz + NVIDIA GTX 760 - 2GB + Creative SB ZX SBX + Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers + 27" AOC LED - 2752 + Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard + CH FighterStick-Pro Throttle-Pro Pedals + Logitech G13 Gameboard + GoFlight GF-T8 Module + WIN 8.1

dpeters95

• Modder
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2015, 07:33:20 AM »

Look at your error log.
If that freeze is caused by IL-2, something error line (exception etc.) or warning line are written in it.

If no error lines are written in your error log, the reason of freezing is outside of IL-2.
System SSD's problem or memory problem, GPU problem or thier device drivers problem or....

Thanks, I'll give it a look...

dpeters95

• Modder
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2015, 07:35:29 AM »

TIA

Sounds to me what you are experiencing is a normal phenomenon in IL-2 called 'spawn lag'. There is nothing 'wrong' with your game.

If you are playing a mission where AI planes are spawning after the mission has started, you may indeed experience spawn lag. I say 'may' because experienced mission builders have tricks that can alleviate most or all spawn lag in a particular mission.

As an aside, I recently put together a new computer and upgraded to SSD drives. Because of these fast SSD drives, I have noticed that these spawn lags are much shorter in duration, relatively speaking.

Aviar

Hmmm...  Didn't know there was such a thing.  Thanks for the info!

Aviar

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2015, 09:59:43 AM »

dpeters95,

Never heard of spawn lag? It's been around since day one. As an example, read the first post in this link...they mention spawn lag.

http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?file=viewtopic&name=ForumsPro&t=1029

Also, check out the following link. They are discussing spawn lag way back in 2004.

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/66181-Reducing-Spawn-Lag-Forums

Aviar
Intel i7-4790 4-Core @3.60GHz + Asus Z97-C Motherboard + 16GB DDR-3 1600 SDRAM @800 MHz + NVIDIA GTX 760 - 2GB + Creative SB ZX SBX + Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers + 27" AOC LED - 2752 + Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard + CH FighterStick-Pro Throttle-Pro Pedals + Logitech G13 Gameboard + GoFlight GF-T8 Module + WIN 8.1

tomoose

• Modder
  • Iiiiiiiit's ME! Hurrah!!
    • 71 "Eagle" Squadron
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2015, 12:15:35 PM »

Yup, spawn lag is definitely a recognized part of the playing the game.

I believe (but not 100% sure) that you can avoid spawn lag to a certain degree with a workaround.....

For example;
If a bunch of B17s are scheduled to spawn halfway through your mission you will get spawn lag.  The main reason as I understand it is that the game is literally creating the aircraft from scratch while the mission is running which causes the "hiccup".

If, however,  you place another B-17 (I believe it has to be the same type and squadron etc) to spawn at the start of the mission in an out of the way, obscure point of the map then when the bunch of B-17s spawn halfway through your mission there will not be any spawn lag (or it is very minimal).  The reason is that the game has already created the type of aircraft at the beginning so there is no, or at least much less of a, hiccup.

I'll caveat the above by saying that this is info I've picked up over the years but I've not actually put it to the test.

Hope this helps.

dpeters95

• Modder
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2015, 01:09:04 PM »

Yup, spawn lag is definitely a recognized part of the playing the game.

I believe (but not 100% sure) that you can avoid spawn lag to a certain degree with a workaround.....

For example;
If a bunch of B17s are scheduled to spawn halfway through your mission you will get spawn lag.  The main reason as I understand it is that the game is literally creating the aircraft from scratch while the mission is running which causes the "hiccup".

If, however,  you place another B-17 (I believe it has to be the same type and squadron etc) to spawn at the start of the mission in an out of the way, obscure point of the map then when the bunch of B-17s spawn halfway through your mission there will not be any spawn lag (or it is very minimal).  The reason is that the game has already created the type of aircraft at the beginning so there is no, or at least much less of a, hiccup.

I'll caveat the above by saying that this is info I've picked up over the years but I've not actually put it to the test.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for the info.  I just don't remember having this problem years ago...  I will go into full mission builder and try to change the mission to see if doing that helps.

BTW, if anyone wants to try  to see if they get similar results, I am using the default USAAF P-47 mission, "P-47 N4" in 4.12.2.  The mission starts, I turn on Auto Pilot, then just over the top of the town "Pacsa" on the map, I get a pause.  I looked in Mission Builder and 3ea BF109 G-4, 1943 spawn on a runway at the same time that I get a pause, "0736".  When I change the time of that spawning, the pause does not occur until the new time that I set.  So, it is definitely Spawn Lag.  I will try to spawn an identical plane at the beginning of the mission and post my findings...

dpeters95

• Modder
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2015, 01:37:56 PM »

Ok, well, Tom's fix idea is correct.  I added a BF109 G-4, 1943 to takeoff from the same runway, same squadron (1), flight 2, at the start of the mission and then flew it off to the edge of the map.  I ran the mission and NO Pause when the other flight spawns 4 minutes later.    I even tried speeding up the mission to 8X and can just barely notice a tiny slow down during that second spawn.

Now I have a way to fix the problem but it means modifying every mission that has this type of problem in the future.  Not a simple solution especially if there is multiple spawning...

Oh well, thanks to all that replied to my question!

tomoose

• Modder
  • Iiiiiiiit's ME! Hurrah!!
    • 71 "Eagle" Squadron
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2015, 07:02:52 PM »

Cool!!!  Glad we could help.  Good to know it works as advertised, LOL. ;D

Aviar

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2015, 04:41:13 PM »

You should be able to get the same results by simply placing a Stationary Aircraft that is the same model as the spawning plane/flight.

Aviar

dpeters95

• Modder
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2015, 07:42:49 PM »

You should be able to get the same results by simply placing a Stationary Aircraft that is the same model as the spawning plane/flight.

Aviar

Thanks for the suggestion but I tried it and it doesn't fix the problem.  Too bad, that would have been easier!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 27 queries.