Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stupid question that's been asked before (forgive me)  (Read 2975 times)

MrGoTime

Stupid question that's been asked before (forgive me)
« on: January 16, 2015, 07:58:41 AM »

I've read a few other topics and still don't feel like I've been able to get an adequate answer to my question.

Is there any point to using the "stock" IL-2 1946 from GOG (with the 4.12.2m) patch? As more of an SP guy, it seems that DBW is the way to go, but I wanted to default to the expertise of the community here. Maybe I'm missing something that the patched original game does differently. I'm mainly looking for campaign play (I don't use the mission creator or single missions hardly at all).

Is DBW (or even DBW-TFM) the way to go? What combo offers the MOST campaign oriented playset?

SAS~Poltava

• Avid FMB user
  • SAS Honourable Member
  • Help Ukraine fight
    • Check out my modded campaigns
Re: Stupid question that's been asked before (forgive me)
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 08:21:28 AM »

As mainly a single player (like myself) DBW is THE way to go: most content, most available campaigns - both stock campaigns and most modded ones will work on DBW 1.71. Albeit there are special ones, that require TFM, 4.12, IL-2 SCW.

Note also that you can easily have multiple installs, both to test out and to experiment. I think I have six or seven IL-2 installs on my rig.
You want to give financial support to a front line Ukraine unit fighting the Russian invaders? Paypal kyivragnarock@gmail.com

MrGoTime

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 08:31:56 AM »

Thanks for the reply. So, at this point I'm only gunning for a single install. Would you recommend one of the TFMs over just a "stock" DBW?

SAS~Poltava

• Avid FMB user
  • SAS Honourable Member
  • Help Ukraine fight
    • Check out my modded campaigns
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015, 02:44:41 AM »

Yes, the beauty is that you don't really have to choose. :) Multiple installs is the way to go! Tehn you can also test and see which one that suits you the best. It can also be a performance issue.
You want to give financial support to a front line Ukraine unit fighting the Russian invaders? Paypal kyivragnarock@gmail.com

MrGoTime

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 03:21:58 PM »

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll do a few. That CFM looks pretty slick. Will most of the campaigns be compatible then?

MrGoTime

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 03:20:10 PM »

I think I'm confused. Isn't CFM based on DBW?

Taxman

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 05:16:59 PM »

Short answer, no.  CFM is based off 4.12.2 I believe, DBW is based on an earlier build, I think 4.10.

MrGoTime

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 10:23:14 AM »

Weren't previous versions of TFM based on a DBW install though?

Short answer, no.  CFM is based off 4.12.2 I believe, DBW is based on an earlier build, I think 4.10.

Cloyd

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2015, 11:54:46 AM »

I think that everything that was in DBW will be included in CFM, plus quite a bit more. (With the exception of DBW1916, which will be made available later.) Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Cloyd

MrGoTime

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2015, 10:24:46 AM »

So if DBW campaigns don't work for CFM, Ultrapack campaigns probably don't work either, right?

MrGoTime

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2015, 10:25:47 AM »

Yes, TFM was based on DBW 4.10, but TFM 4.12 and the soon to be released CFM are both 4.12 based collections.

I have been doing much testing of DBW missions and campaigns in modded 4.12 to check compatibility and they are NOT compatible as is. Some are easy to convert and others not so easy but NONE work straight across.

Also - thanks for the input. So we're basically looking at the "regular" campaign downloads for CFM, eh?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 24 queries.