Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10]   Go Down

Author Topic: pre-DBW2 (DBW for 4.12.2) - Public Release  (Read 47762 times)

pugo3

Re: pre-DBW2 (DBW for 4.12.2) - Public Release
« Reply #108 on: March 11, 2015, 01:12:46 PM »

Well, no sign of life here, as is to be expected seeing the developer's comment re putting DBW2 aside in view of the new CUP pac. So I'll summarize my experience and answer the questions I posted now that I've installed and used the package to hopefully serve to help anyone wishing to give it a try.

Two quick notes to qualify my remarks:
1) I flew the Fw 190/Ta 152, F4U and F4F only for my evaluation, so no claims to an exhaustive study
2) My Win 7 dual core has always translated aircraft on the slow side, diminishing performance [gotta live with it, can't afford upgrades for now]

First off, how you install the sfs files will give you two different aircraft modelling! If you install DBW 1.17, then manually load just the sfs files from the list of required mod pacs, you will end up with basically 4.12/HSFX aircraft in the DBW rendered maps. The cockpits, sounds, FM are all very much HSFX, not sure if 'Expert mode' or not, but believe they are.

However, if you follow Pablo's method of installing DBW 1.17, and installing each additional mod in the order he prescribed, the full program, not sfs files only, you will have DBW/UP3 aircraft in the DBW rendered maps, sounds, with only the cockpits from HSFX. Regrettably, the DBW/UP3 FM of this method is very much under the influence of 4.12 - the stability and speed of the aircraft are very noticeably diminished from DBW/UP3, which is a real loss in my eyes. I was hoping to fly against the new vicious AI of 4.12 with the UP3 aircraft and there indigenous FM, and with these I am convinced I could take them on with much more authority, but alas, 4.12 rules here. Try for yourself, of course, these are my findings. The difference is your being most always the hunted, rather than a good, even, tough, 'who knows how this thing will turn out' dogfight.

I hope we will continue to see developers use their own FM or FM corrections to the Ubisoft renderings, as UP3 and HSFX 'Expert mode' have done. Here, the work of the UP3 developers has been set aside, whether correctly or not you decide.

One final note: Pablo failed to specify how the UP3 sfs files were to be loaded, as to the order and method. I only succeeded in having 'Pure UP3' work once out of 3 attempts, so apparently there is something required which I did not follow, but again, no instructions re this were included in any of the threads I read. Just make sure that you copy and paste them in, or you will get the 5% load/ quit.

Overall, a worthwhile package, especially nice to fly HSFX in the more artistic DBW maps, but the deterioration of the aircraft using the DBW/UP3 method of install is definitely a step backwards and lamentable. Many thanks to Pablo for his efforts, belatedly to be sure. 

Edit: upon further review, I now believe that the DBW/UP3 flyable aircraft are the original FM, but the 4.12 rendered AI opponents now have very much more aggressive behavior, and therefore press you much more, hence your aircraft seems to be not as well behaved as in DBW/UP3!

I would further state that I find the Ta 152C/H are the most accurate of the Il-2 derivatives based on the limited amount of combat accounts extant. With the 'H' you can have a good solid and mostly equally matched dogfight with Spit Mk IX 25 lb, Mk XIV, and Mk XVI, whereas this is not the case in HSFX Expert mode. I had to add a 10% fuel to the Mk XVI to allow a more even dogfight [I attribute this to my computer's interpreting flyable aircraft slower as above] Otherwise he was all over me At 30% each.

The Wildcat [edit] is also to especially combat capable in this load, handling itself commendably against most Japanese opponents, again, not so in HSFX Expert. Recommended.

Regrettably, the Corsair seems to have that nasty aileron snatching with resulting violent stalls, even in rather modest maneuvering, which eliminates any close in combat. This seems to be across the board in the Il-2 F4U, with only HSFX Expert mode not including this characteristic. Would like to see some combat accounts demonstrating this nasty of a stall, definitely makes an impression, so I cannot see how it was not loudly condemned if it was in fact as bad as 4.12 FM suggests.

Again, a great alternative experience for anyone enjoying Il-2 and mostly interested in individual dogfighting, and again, nice to have a variety of FM's out there for us to weigh and decide for ourselves which aircraft to fly.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10]   Go Up

Page created in 0.075 seconds with 24 queries.