Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A quick TFM 4.12 direct install guide  (Read 7277 times)

Griffon_301

• SAS Team
A quick TFM 4.12 direct install guide
« on: April 11, 2014, 11:52:28 AM »

Hello guys!

As promised in Simon´s release thread for his new magnum opus, I do a quick down and dirty direct install guide for his packs here;
some of you have already posted that JSGME is painfully slow plus, and, this is what I do not like at all about JSGME, it takes twice the space you actually need for getting the game to run with Simon´s great packs; you need the unzipped packs in the JSGME folder and then JSGME just copies them over again into the game, and this it does really really slowly...

IMHO using the Selector and the direct install method is a much more elegant way of getting a working install and this is, what this guide will be about.

ONE OR TWO SENTENCES OF CAUTION BEFORE WE START!!!

direct install is intended for people who know there way around modding, at least the basics should be well known.
before you have a running install, there will not be much safety nets around (once there is a running install, there are a few neat ways to back up some important stuff and be on the safe side, more about this later...)
so if you do not know much about how ini or properties files work, what they do, where they are and why you need them, do not read any further...the JSGME way might be the better idea to stay with as you can roll back to previous packs easily, avoiding any potential disasters...

but: if you choose to do the direct install way and run into some problems, feel free to post here as well; I am sure together we can come up with possible solutions to direct install problems :) after you have a working game, methods of finding and eliminating errors are the same as with JSGME enabled packs

ok, then lets start:

first of all, you need a running 4.12.2 install with ModAct 5.30 enabled - checked and working! I will not describe how you do this, other threads have covered those topics pretty well!
you also need the AI flyables for ModAct 5.30 plus the SFS files in place in the respective directories as described by Simon in his release thread;

but instead of copying the unzipped packs into the JSGME folder and enabling them in sequence, we do it differently - directly into the game to be precise;
but to be more flexible and have room for also adding DBW 2 once it is released, we will also use the ModAct selector, IMHO one of the best tools that was ever released for IL2!

1) get all the packs (including the vanilla #SAS folder) downloaded and copy them to a temporary folder for unzipping - you can call the folder as you like, we will delete it after we have   
    finished our work
2) unzip all the packs, no need to follow a special sequence or order, you will get individually named folders that we can work with now
3) within the temporary folder you have created for unzipping the packs, create a new folder now which I suggest you name "stufftocopyover" and inside this create a new folder
    called#newTFM412

now, the process becomes a little bit more tricky, but it is still just basic file copying, so no fear little Padavans...

when you open the folder of TFM pack #1, you will find a folder called #SAS and documentation; delete those folders named "documentation" - you will not need them...

4) but go into the #SAS folder and mark and copy over all folders and files inside there into the #newTFM412 folder you have created in step 3
5) do this for every pack folder you got after unzipping the currently 23 packs - BUT do it in sequence! starting with the vanilla #SAS folder and then #1, #2, #3, well, you get the idea!
    it is important to do this in sequence because each pack adds stuff that needs entries into ini files which are replaced by newer packs with newer ini files in turn; if you do not build your
    direct install in sequence here, it will crash, it is a simple as that!
6) do not forget to also copy over the missions and paintschemes folders and the dll files you get which reside outside the #SAS folders but within the unzipped pack folders
7) basically, copy over the complete content of the unzipped pack folders bar the documentation stuff
8) after you have finished copying over the content of the 23 #SAS folders into the #newTFM412 folder and also followed the instruction to copy the other folders inside the pack folders out,
    you should have a structure like stufftocopyover\#newTFM412 and stufftocopyover\paintschemes (and missions and so on) and you should also have some .dll files inside the
    stufftocopyover folder
9) now it is time to check the folder structure within the #newTFM412 folder as this is going to contain all mods files from now on; do the walkthrough of the help section in the release thread,
    commenting out some files and doing what Simon suggest to troubleshoot his baby...
10) once this is all completed, we are now doing the thrilling part - copying over the folders and files from the stufftocopyover folder into the actual game folder
11) you should have get the warning to overwrite missions and paintschemes folders, let Windows do it;
12) now you should have a #SAS folder and a #newTFM412 folder, containing your TFM mods, let us do the last part necessary now, the Selector configuration; I make it simple for you and
      copy over my part of the il2fb file that deals with #newTFM412

; Mod Type No.4 (Zero-based Index = 3).
[Modtype_03]
Name=new TFM 4.12
Help=new TFM 4.12, mods reside in '#newTFM412#' folder
Files=none
Mods=#newTFM412

I replaced the UP selection with TFM412 ad UP does not have any use in a 4.12.2 install;
so replace the text for Mod Type No.4 inside the il2fb.ini with the one posted above and save it;
start the Selector, choose newTFM412 and hit the start button - you should now have a working, direct install newTFM 4.12 game :)

concerning expanding or backing up stuff:
I suggest you create a -BACKUP folder inside your game and copy the STD, XTD and all.ini out of the mapmods folder into this folder if your game works like intended;
that way you have a set of backup ini, properties and other stuff to revert to, should you have a crashed install; it is always a good idea to do this before adding stuff, because that way
you can roll back without much drama, much like deactivating a pack in JSGME;

ok, that was it, have fun copying stuff;

FULL CREDIT GO TO SIMON AND HIS TESTERS FOR GIVING US TFM412 - THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH TO ALL INVOLVED!

should you have any questions or remarks or ideas or whatever, feel free to post or PM me

Flying H

• "And you can fly, high as a kite if you want to..
Re: A quick TFM 4.12 direct install guide
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 03:28:49 PM »

I have followed your instuctions to the letter but I still get a startup chrash! My log.lst shows as follows (main body left out only initial and last lines of error shows)
Code: [Select]
Maximum texture size : 16384
Maximum simultaneous textures :4
MaxAnisotropic (1.0 = none) : 16.000000
15 Splashscreens available.
Command not found:  sfsautomount MOUNT SFS_AUTO
SectFile load failed: null
java.io.FileNotFoundException
at com.maddox.rts.SFSInputStream.<init>(SFSInputStream.java:65)
at com.maddox.rts.SFSReader.<init>(SFSReader.java:19)
at com.maddox.rts.SectFile.loadFile(SectFile.java:227)
at com.maddox.rts.SectFile.loadFile(SectFile.java:154)
at com.maddox.rts.SectFile.<init>(SectFile.java:126)
at com.maddox.rts.SectFile.<init>(SectFile.java:86)
at com.maddox.sound.SoundPreset.<init>(SoundPreset.java:77)
at com.maddox.sound.SoundPreset.get(SoundPreset.java:107)
at com.maddox.il2.engine.Pre.loading(Pre.java:92)
at com.maddox.il2.engine.cmd.CmdPreload.exec(CmdPreload.java:37)
at com.maddox.rts.CmdEnv.exec(CmdEnv.java:655)
at com.maddox.rts.cmd.CmdFile.exec(CmdFile.java:132)
at com.maddox.il2.game.Main3D.beginApp(Main3D.java:1631)
at com.maddox.il2.game.Main3D.beginApp(Main3D.java:1579)
at com.maddox.il2.game.MainWin3D.beginApp(MainWin3D.java:212)
at com.maddox.il2.game.Main.exec(Main.java:432)
at com.maddox.il2.game.GameWin3D.main(GameWin3D.java:235)
Cannot load sound preset weapon.MGunB20s (java.lang.Exception: Invalid preset format)
SectFile load failed: null
java.io.FileNotFoundException
at com.maddox.rts.SFSInputStream.<init>(SFSInputStream.java:65)
at com.maddox.rts.SFSReader.<init>(SFSReader.java:19)
at com.maddox.rts.SectFile.loadFile(SectFile.java:227)
at com.maddox.rts.SectFile.loadFile(SectFile.java:154)
at com.maddox.rts.SectFile.<init>(SectFile.java:126)
at com.maddox.rts.SectFile.<init>(SectFile.java:86)
at com.maddox.sound.SoundPreset.<init>(SoundPreset.java:77)
at com.maddox.sound.SoundPreset.get(SoundPreset.java:107)
at com.maddox.il2.engine.Pre.loading(Pre.java:92)
at com.maddox.il2.engine.cmd.CmdPreload.exec(CmdPreload.java:37)
at com.maddox.il2.game.Main3D.beginApp(Main3D.java:1631)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
This goes on `til the end when it says:

at com.maddox.il2.game.GameWin3D.main(GameWin3D.java:235)Spawn.get( com.maddox.il2.objects.air.Placeholder ): com.maddox.il2.objects.air.Placeholder
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.maddox.il2.objects.air.Placeholder
at com.maddox.rts.LDR.loadClass(LDR.java:27)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)
at java.lang.Class.forName(Unknown Source)
at com.maddox.rts.Spawn.get(Spawn.java:39)
at com.maddox.rts.Spawn.get(Spawn.java:28)
at com.maddox.il2.game.Main.preloadAirClasses(Main.java:216)
at com.maddox.il2.game.Main3D.beginApp(Main3D.java:1646)
at com.maddox.il2.game.GameWin3D.main(GameWin3D.java:235)
Spawn.get( com.maddox.il2.objects.air.Placeholder ): com.maddox.il2.objects.air.Placeholder
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.maddox.il2.objects.air.Placeholder
at com.maddox.rts.LDR.loadClass(LDR.java:27)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.C
I´m puzzeled by the missing automount command , it´s there in the .rc file

Code: [Select]
@load com.maddox.rts.cmd.CmdSFSAutoMount NAME sfsautomount \
HELP sfsautomount [MOUNT <folder name>] [UNMOUNT <folder name>]
@sfsautomount MOUNT SFS_AUTO

#preload REGISTER
@file .preload
are the last 5 lines in the .rc! What else can wrong. The 4122 played nicely before I tried your method.
And you can fly, high as a kite, if you want to.........

Griffon_301

• SAS Team
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 05:50:22 AM »

ok, lets see what we can do...

first question: did you start with a working 4.12.2 + ModAct 5.30 install with AI flyable classes enabled?
if so, did you also copy the sfs files into their respective folders as described by Simon in his release thread?
and finally - did you check if you have created the correct file folder structure? the .rc file should reside in #newTFM412 (or however you have called it)\STD

also, where do you crash? at the loading screen at 5%, 60% or 70%, or before you even get to the loading screen?

jt189

• Retired Warrior
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 07:13:16 AM »

Griffon
Well I have done the direct install when this first came out and have all 25 working number one is first rem out the tiger sound and the two files that go with it in the auto file and the chock folder. Plus in the jsmge file start the a1 fly mod and if you like the forgotten country mod.

P.S.
It most likely helps that I cracked the sim engine and getting it to work with all installs.

You have a great how to install direct instruction set there.

Griffon_301

• SAS Team
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 10:39:16 AM »

thank you very much jt :)
I have just added some stuff to my newTFM 4.12.2 install thanks to your tip with the Forgotten Countries mod :)
I wanted to keep it as basic as possible as Simon has posted a great how to already-so if anyone wants to add more to his install, he is invited to do so and post the results here :)

Flying H

• "And you can fly, high as a kite if you want to..
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 05:13:11 PM »

I started from 407 scratch, tested, did the 4122m superinstall, tested no problems, 5.3 + AI flyables, no problem, sfs as described, did your trick with the modact replcing the UP select. .rc in #newTFM412/STD. Chrash at  the loading screen I can see the screen for a few moments then CTD. I´m at the moment doing a "full renovation" of my house so I´ll have little time for sorting problemsout for some time but I had hoped for NTFM to be working so I could go flying when there is some leetime! Guess I´ll have to stay with my trusted DBW for  the time beeing and sort this out when things cool off in the house!
And you can fly, high as a kite, if you want to.........

TheDSB

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2014, 07:33:55 PM »

Thanks for the guide!

I can verify that it's not totally idiot-proof though. I had a bit of trouble figuring out that I actually needed to use the #SAS folder as a base for #newTFM412, and I believe there's a typo in the stuff that goes into the il2fb.ini file - In your post it says #newTFM412# when the folder is #newTFM412.

I'm not sure which one caused me to crash on startup, but correcting the name of the folder and starting with a copy of the original #SAS as my #newTFM412 had everything working flawlessly.

Obviously this is stuff that people will be able to figure out on their own, but I wouldn't mind trying my hand at a foolproof guide for poor souls like myself who are easily confused by this sort of thing :)

I can't believe the game is actually running with 20+ gigs worth of mods (and counting right now, I'm not done!). So much respect for the devs and modders out there. Amazing.

SAS~Monty27

• SAS Team
  • Action and Adventure!
    • SPEEDMACHINE
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2014, 09:02:35 PM »

Very interesting reading thanks for putting this together Griffo! 

Personally I have to stay 'Honest' in order to maintain forward/backward compatibility.  So I'm the poor sap who tests every pack from scratch on JSGME no matter how long it takes!

Using the Direct Install method can we add extra folders (with content) alongside the 'stufftocopyover' folder?  In other words can we retain the ability to 'roll back' to a previous stage like 'stuff-01, stuff-02'?  Because; despite the larger time investment to setup, this is still the greatest strength of JSGME.  My install cannot be broken!  As long as any future stage may be rolled back to a safe-point we are free to mod and experiment to our hearts content as well as solving issues 'on the fly'.

A big part of the TFM project is the mindset for 'safe modding' - using sequential modules to advance your install with changes and contents self contained (Anyone can do it and I invite anyone who wants to put together a new set to start with the latest TFM-412 'STD' folder, build a new module and include the readmes.)

I would also like to have my cake and eat it - Your faster install method but with full rollback safety, is that plausible?   :) :) :) :) :)

vpmedia

• Modder
  • www.vpmedia.hu/il2
    • VPMEDIA SKINS
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2014, 12:14:20 AM »

I think Griffon_301's method handles TFM-412 like a single pack, similar to the DBW 1.71 superpack.
It's not a bad idea because many people had problems with jsgme activating the packs...probably on slower pc's.

Griffon_301

• SAS Team
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2014, 08:57:37 AM »

Hello Simon!

well, to answer yor questions: my method is recommended only for very brave novices or for experienced modders who know their way around the various ways, an install can be broken by missing entries in the various ini files, wrong file structures of mods or incompatibility issues...

I have made it a habit to backup my complete STD folder before I add something, that requires messing with ini or properties files, or at least the all.ini in the maps folder before adding a new map;
this way, I have a roll back possibility should something go wrong; also adding only one mod at a time is a great help in this regard, seeing if it works and if not, just deleting it, copying back the most recent backed up STD folder and then analyzing why it did fail.

basically, using my method, there would be a chance to roll back, given only two prerequisites:
1) to have a backup of the STD folder of each sucessfully added pack (or a mapmods folder in the case of added maps)
2) knowledge of what each pack adds so to be able to quickly rem out or delete the mods of any packs that create problems and revert back to a certain STD backup and reinstate the last working TFM pack number then;

I know that this method might be too complicated for the average user but knowing the inner workings of the modding game, it gives you much more flexibility in adding or removing stuff from an existing install;

il2modnewb

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2015, 11:58:34 AM »

Do i have to past the #TFM412 folder in the game or do i need to past the folder inside the #FTM412 in to the game?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.071 seconds with 24 queries.