Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Expert Mode in HSFX rocks! Can DBW have it?  (Read 6648 times)

Maico

• Knight Knee Dragger
Expert Mode in HSFX rocks! Can DBW have it?
« on: January 23, 2014, 03:38:16 AM »

Hey Fellas,
  Winter is in full swing in Sweden.  Time to fly is easy to come by now.  I have been flying HSFX lately and I really enjoy Expert Mode.  The Ai is real complex and some aircraft I can only beat in Novice mode.....  YES Novice mode.  I really enjoy chasing I-16s in a B-239.  I fly mostly QMB but HSFX is limited there.  After reading the instructions on how to add maps to QMB I had a headache.  So I have two questions
 First question:  Is there expert mode or something similar for DBW?
 Second question:  Is there a place to download QMB maps(missions) for HSFX?  I am looking for something like this 
https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php?topic=37716.0  THANK YOU LeOne

Have a great day fellas

Maico

fokker95

Re: Expert Mode in HSFX rocks! Can DBW have it?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 09:11:35 AM »

I am unsure which version of IL2 you are using, but there was a significant improvement and update to the AI after version 4.10 (it was either in 4.11 or 4.12). DBW had been makign a new AI, but I think it was decided to nix it when the new AI came out (because it was a significant improvement already, but I am not positive of that). I am not familiar with HSFX, as I have not tried it at this point (although I hear it is great), but there are already plans(already in the process) to merge it into the DBW2 that is currently in the works, and which will also be compatible with the latest IL2 version (4.12). Plus tons of maps and other great stuff. It will definitely be the new benchmark for IL2 once it is finished, and will set the standard (I believe). Perhaps some others can chime in and shed light where I could not.

Maico

• Knight Knee Dragger
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 01:10:55 PM »

Fokker95 thank you for your reply.  Undaunted by space requirements, I run a few versions of IL2.  I am here to tell you that the Expert Mode Ai is as the British say... "The Bees knees".  They bag and drag they play "How low can you go" and they bite.  They don't run away unless it makes sense and so far it is the best Ai I have seen in over a decade of IL2.  I cant wait to see this new version you speak of.

Cheers.

Maico

hguderian

• Modder
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 01:56:19 PM »

@Maico

AFAIK Hsfx Expert Mode does not involve neither touch AI routines.   

As stated by 242 Squad's Forum
http://www.242sqn.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3436

Code: [Select]
Expert mode - Expert of what?

This does a few things. It has a different encryption and netcode (so
people cannot join stock servers with it and likewise those with stock
cannot join those with expert mode enabled.

With this enabled HSFX uses a different set of FM's. These are primarily
the Flight Model modifications that Aachen has worked on.

Ground objects and ships use a different set of parameters that makes
for better balanced ground and naval conflicts.

Regards

Maico

• Knight Knee Dragger
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 05:05:15 AM »

Hey hguderian!
  Thanks for clarifying that up for me.  Wow, that is a revelation.  Ok, then how is the HSFX Ai so good and different from DBW or IL2?

I am running IL2 4.12.2 HSFX.

santobr

• Modder
  • Senta a Pua!
    • F
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 05:34:03 AM »

Because it is the new AI from 4.12.2. ;)

santobr.

Maico

• Knight Knee Dragger
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 01:20:41 PM »

Ahhhhh!  Wow, this new Ai is the business.  The Dogs Bollocks.  I guess the only thing I can now ask is, Can I run 4.12.2 in DBW?

Do335

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 05:59:11 PM »

I'm still finding DBW AI has its merits? The 4.12 AI has eyes to its back and always know when you're approaching gun range and starts evasive maneuvers. After the maneuver when it drops off altitude it does not try to climb back up.
I setup a QMB with 2 Me262s and 2 spits. At the end of the fight the 2 spits are down on the deck, tree hopping, due to my constant B&Z and due to their constant evasion. In the end I literally ground strafed one and the other one ran into the forest itself. WTH was that :o
Also despite TD's patch log saying "fixed a bug of AI crashing into ground due to over bank", in a QMB ground attack mission, 1 of my 3 wingmen still crashed.
AI in this genre is a constant PITA it seems.

rruff

• The only way to fly...
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2014, 08:08:25 AM »

I'm still finding DBW AI has its merits?

I haven't played the 4.11 lately, but DBW seems to me like the AI has eyes in the back of its head. An AI plane will be very engaged in shooting one of my mates, yet break off every time when I get within gun range. And these are Japanese planes that don't have radio. I do have them on Ace setting, but still... they shouldn't see me when I'm coming in low. 

I've been playing with a mission that starts on the NW coast of Kauai. The DBW AI definitely has an issue with steep terrain. It isn't unusual for half the planes to run into the ground sometime during the battle.

I did some tests of AI vs AI battles to see which planes are best (from the AI perspective anyway), and I noticed that the AI used more intelligent and human-like tactics in 4.11 vs DBW. I prefer the AI in the new patches.

Maico

• Knight Knee Dragger
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2014, 01:51:21 PM »

I have been a fan of DBW from the beginning.  I thought that HSFX was the reason for the sudden change in the Ai.  I was wrong.  Thank You for correcting me. 
 So here is what I like about 4.12 Ai.
1.  It is time to go back to the manual.  If you don't, you die.  I die a LOT. 
2.  Humble pie is served in QMB.  I have to fly against Rookies in 8 vs 8 combat.  4 vs 4 can be Average to Veteran.  I don't fly against Aces in more than 2 vs 2. 
3.  The Ai stays and fights.  No more wasting my time or burning my engine trying to catch ai that flies away forever (MUSTANG).
4.  I can finally fly the 109 against the MUSTANG. 
  To me this step represents as big a step as the original IL2.  I remember when Combat Flight Simulator had that terrible Ai.  They followed each other like you were playing duck hunter.  Now I really dated myself. 
  If you have room on your PC, I really recommend you build a copy of 4.12. 

Remember, its all about the dogfight.

Maico

SkyHigh

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2014, 04:04:58 PM »

Maico, if it's any help I have installed many of the DBW sfs files with HSFX 7. This, along with much else, gives the DBW maps and it's a simple matter of putting the relevant QMB missions into the proper folder. I'm not sure but I think all these QMB missions are to be found in the ModAct 5.3 (which can also be added on top of HSFX7/DBW). This way you get the best of both worlds.

Do335

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2014, 12:01:24 AM »

rruff/maico i see more fitting your preference than all out better in your ai comparison, as is mine. i usually fly with jets in campaigns, and it can be different, i.e. me262 on eastern front. Dbw AI focuses more on B&Z and that seems to fit jets very well. however the running aground/crashing thing? all too common in any version, put a forest not far from a runway and both DBW and 4.12 will crash every plane that takes off.
maybe i can find the java lines defining the tof climb angle and steepen it a bit. yep... ground avoidance, totally sucks in Il2. If running DCG ground attack missions are vital but the AI accident rates are appalling.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 26 queries.