Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: -force feedback yoke  (Read 1735 times)

LuseKofte

-force feedback yoke
« on: December 15, 2013, 02:17:40 PM »

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/irisdynamics/affordable-force-feedback-flight-sim-control-yoke

Having a 737 modded yoke myself I strongly reccomend using yoke vs joystick. The stick does not even come close to a yoke in realistic feeling. For IL 2 I eccomend everything but the CH yoke. The ch yoke got a cheap feeling and a nonrealistic glide using plastictube instead of aluminium. It is also too sensitive and cannot be used with germans planes

bolox

• Modder
Re: -force feedback yoke
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 04:04:49 PM »

Interesting- anything has got to be better than what currently passes for 'force feedback' - I know some people think FFB the best thing since sliced bread but it is very NON immersive (imho)- it just doesn't simulate anything like the real feel of flying an aircraft. (again very much imho- but I have at least taken control of a few AC)

Particularly liking the linear actuator, - be very interested to know the forces involved
not so sure about stepper motors for the roll axis- in my experience they tend to have very definite 'steps' to the movement. I suspect it may feel like 'fighting a bunch of gears'.
 but I will be keeping an eye on this- wish I had 2500 going spare :P

Also would need some custom application to input devicelink info on speed etc and convert to whatever format device needed it in order to work with IL2. Similar for CoD / DCS (and forget about BoS- no data output)

LuseKofte

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 08:27:30 PM »

That was kind of what I was thinking. But this looks like a serious thing and if I hadn't spent 1650$ on the yoke I have I would have payed the 2500$ right now

Typhoon Ib

• SAS Enfant terrible
  • unlock.inc
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, 09:04:48 PM »

pardon me...

"first world problems"
someone have a few thousand to pay off a bunch of debts i still have open due to a decade of below minimum wage income?
 ???
Collecting dislikes since December '82.

WalkerYYJ

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 09:47:21 PM »

Hey all, stumbled onto this thread via Google.
(Full disclosure) Im one of the engineers on this project.

The yoke is designed to work out of the box "to an extent" with all simulation software irrespective of if a port/plugin etc has been written for it. In a situation where the yoke doesn't have access to speed/attitude/COP/COG information it will revert to a "normal" yoke, with the notable exception that the trim switches become internal to the yoke, and do not necessarily feed data back to the simulated environment. So for example if you apply nose up/down trim the yoke will physically move itself to the new position. Of coerce with respects to variable force, a generic model is applied which will assume your at a leisurely cruise speed. For proper integration of force models however we will need to be able to access flight variables from  IL2 and pass them back to the yoke. Are they any IL2 developers here who could attest to how easy it is to extract such data?

As for "cogging" or "bumps" on the stepper, we are using a very fine pitch motor (0.9 deg/400steps per rev). Additionally its a pretty under powered guy, (~48N/M) so even in a "free wheeling" mode there are no describable steps from the yoke handle. (a more involved explanation on our decision making process on the roll system is here: (cant post links....   Check out avsim dot com and hardware, "Kickstarter: Affordable Force Feedback Yoke", and checkout post number 10)

Also I should point out that the $2500 option is only for those who want an early prototype AND a production unit. If your just looking for a production unit they are currently $600. We have 2 more days left to find ~25 more people interested in supporting this project by ordering a yoke.

If anyone has any technical questions on this project, OR if there are any IL2 developers here interested in helping to make this unit fully functional with IL2, please either let me know here or on our Kickstarter page.

Additionally if your interesting in keeping up to date with the project you can join our mailing list here: (sorry cant post links)

All the best

-pat

LuseKofte

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2013, 04:30:32 AM »

Well I found this interesting, I can only recommend using yokes for its immersive feel to it . Thx for dropping in and explain
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.068 seconds with 24 queries.