Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: System lag with powerful computer on Il-2?  (Read 17774 times)

marcost

• Modder
  • Keep calm and run away
Re: System lag with powerful computer on Il-2?
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2013, 01:52:17 AM »

Hi Drewm, glad you got it working and have had a chance to see how immersive and complete IL2 has become  :)

The 'Long View Distance Mod' is referred to by Gurner in the first post below (scroll to the end). If you download the mod you will be able to check whether you have those classfiles already and disable/replace them if you want to

https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,20929.0.html

Regards,

M

SAS~Tom2

• SAS Honourable Member
  • no sweat
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2013, 07:01:21 AM »

I will post links here for tips which I collected and posted at a Falcon 4  BMS forum.

"
Basics of understanding your game:

Best explained hardware to software knowledge IMO here:

Just to overfly, you do not need to download anything..
http://allaircraftsimulations.com/fo...=29314&start=0

You do not need to read all of this, but I suggest skipping the graphics card tips and the processaffinitymask entries :

http://allaircraftsimulations.com/fo...=22314&start=0

Specific ProcessAffinityMask sector --Processor Affinity Explained
http://allaircraftsimulations.com/fo...p?f=30&t=29178

A tip: Inside your config.ini file (open with wordpad) there is an entry:
[rts]
;ProcessAffinityMask=1

This is IL-2s default. Means IL-2 by default assigns the first core.
But you can force this by removing the semicolon and adding different values, depending on your hardware.
I have an AMD card and use either
[rts]

ProcessAffinityMask=15
or
[rts]

ProcessAffinityMask=8

to maximize performance.

Also with latest IL-2 selector exes instead the old default poor exe you can assign up to 4GB of RAM isntead the native 64MB!

Recommended is 512MB.

Very important: Knowin' our config.ini file, little changes affect heavily what you see ingame, especially under

[Render OpenGL]

One more link here explaining the vital config.ini text file which always resides inside your main IL-2 folder:

http://allaircraftsimulations.com/fo...p?f=29&t=29185

The basic config.ini settings can be done while using the main install's "il2setup.exe" which resides in any stock and modded IL-2 game.

The graphics basic setup, which finds its footprint as well inside the config.ini, can be set up like that for optimal gfx:

The red marked area is mandatory (For SAS chaps: Did that after reading it back then on AAS and it works well, I know it is not what it is recommended by some chaps, however the stuff in red and also having no texture compression seems essential=better) ;)

Under driver/Provider, you must have "OpenGL" selected.

Whenever a map does not load and you get the infamous "paratrooper" error with the name paratrooper in the load error name, try this instead, same whenever a texture will not be loaded e.g. in a high res cockpit which exceeds your GFX capacity:

Inside the config.ini file, these entries would look like this:

A.o.!

Best quality:
[Render_OpenGL]
TexQual=3
TexMipFilter=3
TexCompress=0

TexFlags.TexCompressARBExt=0

Texture compression:

[Render_OpenGL]
TexQual=3
TexMipFilter=3
TexCompress=2

TexFlags.TexCompressARBExt=1

The section

[Render_OpenGL]
TexQual=3
HardwareShaders=1

Defines that you use OpenGL.
And only then you can have the best landscape, and best water.

For water, there is a special mod available at SAS for optimal rendered water of so far unmatched quality:

https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.ph...c,15180.0.html

I can and will provide you my personal water and light modpack already "templated" later if you like-(the post was for a team buddy getting him started on IL-2 68..).
Got mine water mod IIRC from page 17, this one works best along with that one:

https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.ph...c,14789.0.html

To utilize the optimal water in IL-2 you need the follwing settings inside the config.ini:

For AMD/ATI

Water=2

For NVidia
Water=4

The result is very similar. NVidia has a slight edge, but not twice as good.

Here is my entire config.ini OpenGL section:
The stuff under "Mods" is not so important for now

Code: [Select]
     [Render_OpenGL]
TexQual=3
TexMipFilter=3
TexCompress=0
TexFlags.UseDither=1
TexFlags.UseAlpha=0
TexFlags.UseIndex=0
TexFlags.PolygonStipple=1
TexFlags.UseClampedSprites=0
TexFlags.DrawLandByTriangles=0
TexFlags.UseVertexArrays=1
TexFlags.DisableAPIExtensions=0
TexFlags.ARBMultitextureExt=1
TexFlags.TexEnvCombineExt=1
TexFlags.SecondaryColorExt=1
TexFlags.VertexArrayExt=1
TexFlags.ClipHintExt=1
TexFlags.UsePaletteExt=0
TexFlags.TexAnisotropicExt=1
TexFlags.TexCompressARBExt=0

TexFlags.TexEnvCombine4NV=0 //[b]1 for NVidia[/b]
TexFlags.TexEnvCombineDot3=1
TexFlags.DepthClampNV=0 //[b]1 for NVidia[/b]
TexFlags.SeparateSpecular=1
TexFlags.TextureShaderNV=0 //[b]1 for NVidia[/b]

HardwareShaders=1

Shadows=2
Specular=2
SpecularLight=2
DiffuseLight=2
DynamicalLights=0
MeshDetail=2
VisibilityDistance=3

Sky=2
Forest=3
LandShading=3
LandDetails=2

LandGeom=3
TexLarge=1
TexLandQual=3
TexLandLarge=1

VideoSetupId=17
Water=2
Effects=1
ForceShaders1x=0
PolygonOffsetFactor=-0.0625
PolygonOffsetUnits=-1.0

[Mods]
3DGunners=1
SpeedbarUnits=3
SpeedbarSpdKMH=1
SpeedbarSpdMPH=1
SpeedbarSpdKnots=1
SpeedbarAltMeters=1
SpeedbarAltFeet=1
SpeedbarTAS=1
BombBayDoors=1
CatapultAllow=1
CatapultAllowAI=1
CatapultBoost=1
StandardDeckCVL=1
CatapultAI_CVE=1
CatapultAI_CVL=1
CatapultAI_EssexClass=1
CatapultAI_LexingtonClass=1
CatapultAI_AkagiClass=1
CatapultAI_IllustriousClass=1
CatapultAI_CasablancaClass=1
CatapultAI_ShokakuClass=1
NoNavLightsAI=1
SideDoor=1
AirShowSmoke=2
mouseUse=2

Keep in mind the notes for NVidia inside the boxed text.  :)
"

http://www.benchmarksims.org/forum/showthread.php?13625-IL-2-Vietnam

And so on. (Posted for a teammate from former FreeFalcon group. He flies for the Navy..and is wants IL-2 1968, already got DBW AFAIK.)

SAS~Tom2

• SAS Honourable Member
  • no sweat
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2013, 07:04:22 AM »

Fork, I just saw AAS is down..?   :(  :-\ Sad, this site started my modded IL-2 passion.
OK then the links won't work, hope the post is useful anyway. Feel free to correct me, will take any correction into the other forum as well. ;)
Argh! :)

Drewm3i

« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2013, 01:04:47 PM »

Does video card setup id mean anything? If so what is the correct setting for my amd card?

Typhoon Ib

• SAS Enfant terrible
  • unlock.inc
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2013, 01:10:06 PM »

setupID is when you go into the setup.exe, video options.
the one on top of the list is id1 or id0, the second is id2, and so on. Just forget it, and set it to custom.
Collecting dislikes since December '82.

Drewm3i

« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2013, 03:52:57 PM »

Okay thanks! I defragmented my game files last night. I hope that helps next time I play I wanna try gurner fx again because I think I had a corrupt download.

Drewm3i

« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2013, 09:06:00 PM »

Today I'm noticing subpar performance. At times I notice around 30 or more fps, but sometimes the game dips to 5 (when I tested black death track using fraps) before climbing to 50+ when radio messages are received, changing views, flying over forest or water, and on the ground when I'm taking off. I applied the confi's you guys posted and set my settings the way you guys suggested. My question is: for a quad core processor, what is the best affinity setting? I currently have it set at 15. Also, any other tweaks I can perform? For example, if I were to turn my settings down (water=1, effects=1, etc.) would I get more fps? and would I visually notice a difference because TFM has plutonium effects and water=4 built in? My hardware should be viable for this game with mods. If I can't consistently get more than 30 fps, I will have to do a clean install of TFM, and if that fails, I will have to go through and hand select mods to run :/. Any more tips would be helpful. I love this game, but really want all the eye-candy.
Thanks

Typhoon Ib

• SAS Enfant terrible
  • unlock.inc
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2013, 01:38:40 AM »

Then get a proper computer.
i mean, a desktop computer that is built for gaming...

hard reality.
Collecting dislikes since December '82.

marcost

• Modder
  • Keep calm and run away
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2013, 05:31:49 AM »

My question is: for a quad core processor, what is the best affinity setting?

Anything other than the core that windows and your other apps are using (these are usually on core 0 i.e. first core) so try core 1, 2, 3

For example, if I were to turn my settings down (water=1, effects=1, etc.) would I get more fps?

Yes! Both these have significant effect on FPS

and would I visually notice a difference because TFM has plutonium effects and water=4 built in?

Yes some difference but ruin the experience? Not for me

I love this game, but really want all the eye-candy.
Thanks

So do I and I have a desktop Quad core o/c to 4.5ghz and a GTX660ti o/c, both OS and Il2 installed on SSD but I have to compromise because Il2 is old and only uses one CPU core. I run water=2 and standard effects packs because the smoothness, feeling of speed and movement is more important to me than eye candy. With visuals maxxed out, full effects (Gurners) I get slowdowns that affect the smoothness and ruin the immersion for me.

Like many things, it's a trade off unfortunately. I don't think anyone out there has a CPU powerful enough to run everything fully maxxed with Gurners great mod and fly over a ground battle zone at a constant 60 FPS. But if I'm wrong I'd love to hear about it!!!

Other things to try - Gamebooster, 4gb exe patch. And the number of objects on a map tax the CPU as well i.e. highly populated maps can give lower FPS

Hope that helps a little. As The Stones put it, "You can't always get what you want... but you might just get what you need".

To me, if it looks great but doesn't make you feel like you're flying a ww2 fighter in a dogfight then it's missed the mark.

Regards,

M

Oh and if you search here you will find a mod that lets you change conf.ini settings like water and effects in-game for quicker experimenting

Drewm3i

« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2013, 06:24:54 AM »

Cool thanks for the input I'll fiddle with my settings and see how that helps! Woul changing the resolution to 720p from 900p help? I guess I could try it.

Drewm3i

« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2013, 05:40:12 PM »

So I lowered the quality settings to: water=0, effects=1, typeclouds=1, and forest=1. Astonishingly, my fps average remained the same as before, and continued to bounce all over the place based on the camera changes in the Black Death track. This is very peculiar. I already use gamebooster and the 4gb patch. What else is there to try? Lowering the settings proved it isn't my gpu at all, which I suspected all along.

*Steppenwolf*

« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2013, 07:17:44 PM »

The only way I was able to get fps to hover around 60 was to purchase an i7-2600k. And at first it really didn't do that much for a modded IL2 4.09m. I've been through three different gpu's and that never revealed any improvement either. But the new cpu coupled with texture size reduction across the board(ground textures, cockpits, clouds, sun, props, water, effect textures, 3D trees, etc) and depopulated maps worked relatively well, and of course low particle effects. There is still stutters with radio chatter and explosions randomly though. The cpu is maxed even while soloing so I'm guessing that has something to do with the hitches. I'm only saying this so anyone new to IL2 modded 1946 knows what to realistically expect in terms of performance on modern hardware. I've spent more time modding IL2 than playing it for fun, but trying to get IL2 to perform well on my system has been a fun project for me! Of course systems being what they are, you might have hugely different results; not to mention that everyone's idea of good fps is also different. And I mean no disrespect to modding works in which the above is antithetical. I think it is common knowledge among long time IL2ers that the game has been pushed way passed the level it was intended.

I'm seriously indifferent to how many 'hits' the videos I've posted get or how many times my mod gets DL, but just for example to the new guys:

This video shows in-game fps counter with modest amount of effects rendering with the above changes.

This video shows depopulated Slovakia map. Depopulating the large Slovakia cities was the only way to get 60fps on an i7-2600k, and that too is with the above mentioned texture reductions.

Game rez is 1920 x 1080 with gtx560ti. But like I said even with this medium combo, initially performance was poor without customizing.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.075 seconds with 24 queries.