Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Adding new maps  (Read 3213 times)

Darkwind

Adding new maps
« on: November 07, 2012, 02:16:52 PM »

Can anyone direct me to a thread or an article that will help a dummy add new maps to IL-2??  ::)

kevinp

• Modder
Re: Adding new maps
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 03:24:49 PM »

Hi there

I have a step by step tutorial that explains how to make maps & add them to the game. It's not a simple process & requires care & patience. Also the tutorial is a bit old & some of the links in it no longer work.

Download it from here-
http://www.4shared.com/get/lRjIWzKp/Map_Building_Tutorial_v4.html 

Cheers. Kevin

RedSpade

• Thankful to all modders
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 07:07:31 PM »

Darkwind, are you wanting to add new maps to your installation or learn how to build and create your own maps?  What version of game are you running?

Darkwind

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 08:28:59 PM »

Actually I run UP rc4, HSFX, SAS, DBW 1.17 and would like to all the maps I can to all of them. I have started several campains, and found that after a hand full of missions I am stuck because I need A map that isn't in my game. Any help would be great RedSpade.

RedSpade

• Thankful to all modders
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, 07:31:54 AM »

Darkwind, I can only speak about DBW, since that is all that I play, but it is simple enough that a noob like me can even do it.  I have probably installed 15 new maps in the last month alone..... I love maps.

I have Windows put all of my downloaded files into the Downloads folder.  If you do that, you can simply uncompress your downloaded map, then open the resultant file folder until you find the #DBW folder, and copy or move this folder onto (drag and drop) your main game folder.  Windows should merge the new map files and folders with your existing files.  BUT!!! sometimes you can have files with the same name, ie texture files or maybe object files, and Windows will want to either ignore adding the new files, or replace the old one with the new ... 

I'm anal retentive and I want to SEE what is going on.  I will illustrate my preferred method with Agracier's Lapland map, ( I have most of Agracier's map, because I love his maps  8)).  Most map downloads consist of 3 major parts.  A folder that contains the map details (ag_Lapland), a folder that contains textures used on the maps (usually call _tex), and a "read me" file telling you what lines you need to add to your all.ini file (Mods/Mapmods/maps/all.ini). 

For DBW,  the ag_Lapland folder should be moved to  {game folder}/#DBW/mapmods/maps.  Within this folder you should find a _tex folder.  This is for holding the images used to add "texture" to the maps.  The contents of your downloaded _tex folder needs to be moved inside the _tex folder ({game folder}/#DBW/mapmods/maps/_tex).  However, in the Lapland case, another layer of folders (.../maps/_tex/ag/).  If you open this location up (Downloads/ag_Lapland.#DBW/mapmods/maps/_tex/ag/) you will find three folders of textures.  These need to go into your game  {game folder}/#DBW/mapmods/maps/_tex/ag/

Now you need to add to add the lines to the all.ini file.  It does not matter where these lines are added, but where you add the lines, relates to their location when you use the FMB.  Viola.  Launch the game and enjoy.

There are sometimes some QMB missions that come with the maps, but I do not yet know that process, but perhaps someone else can enlighten both of us on that process.

I believe the above process is the outline you would use for UP also, but that is a guess on my part.  And I would think at it could be the same for the others as well.  You might experiment and try it out.  The worst that would happen is that you'd have to back it out......(I'd make backups before experimenting. . . . but I know you ALWAYS do that before experimenting   :D )

When I read back over this, it seems more complicated  than it really is.  If you have issues, post them here or PM me and I will try to get you fixed up.

Regards

max_thehitman

• SAS~Area51
  • Modder
  • Beer...Girls...IL2+Mods!
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2012, 12:06:14 PM »

Cool Tutorial RedSpade.
Thanks!  8)

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening ! Welcome to SAS1946

SAS~Tom2

• SAS Honourable Member
  • no sweat
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2012, 05:09:04 PM »

+1.
Basically, maps deliver one folder that goes wherever your "maps" called main parent folder is-the main map with all the info like load.ini/s, map_T.tga etc.
Plus one folder for the _Tex folder-the texture parent folder, which is inside you parent maps folder.
E.g. "MODS\MAPMODS\Maps\_tex"

Then of course the add to the all.ini file in "Maps", which tells the sim the specific map line to identify the map ingame.
Additional add-ons can be e.g. trees, which go into _Tex/Trees, or shallow textures, to go into _Tex/water etc.
Also sometimes additional objects for the 3DO folder, but whenever more things than the map itself and its textures(-if needed), are supplied, the author usually gives detailed instructions. Once you got the drift you can add any map you like.

Some maps, depending on your hardware, will only run with either texture compression active in the IL-2 setup or the config.ini or with a smaller amount of RAM allocated to your game via the Selector exe. As for maps, I can recommend to first go for redko's desert maps in the MTO section, many great maps on this forum, yet the somewhat galactic texture placement was archieved by redko, especially with his desert maps.
PS: With modern mod packs like DBW, you get most objects so far created, older IL-2 packs might need additional objects. For adding maps, DBW is really a good start IMHO.

Good luck!

Cheers

Thorsten

SAS~Tom2

• SAS Honourable Member
  • no sweat
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2012, 05:12:27 PM »

PS: Agracier's maps in general and the Lapland map especially really are beauties.
Lapland Autumn is my current favourite.
To name all the great maps available here would fill a good long post. :D :)
Names like Texx, agracier, Avala, cyberolas, redko, farang65, SAS~Bombsaway, Uzin, SAS~Mission_bug, Dixiecapt, WhiteCat, Uufflakke and and and...will show you some kickass downloadable maps, and these are only names popping up in my flu-sick brain on a super quick check, many great modders not in that short list.
One of my first and favourite maps btw was Avala's Benghalli, beautiful small islands map of the southwest Pacific.

Darkwind

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2012, 12:03:15 PM »

Thanks so much to all of you!!!  :D  It won't be long, I too want all the maps I can cram into the game!......From one ol' Vet to the rest of you Vets..God Bless you all and those of us that have fallen in the line of duty.

nzmigman

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2013, 06:06:55 PM »

Got a small install problem regarding new maps

Recently set up a 4.11.1 install with new Jet war 1.3, modact 4 and the engine mod.
Then downloaded 00_whc_Retextured_3BG_KTO_v.1.0 to give a Korean map in which to fly.
The link provided in to Modact 4 documentation regarding adding of maps goes nowhere so my question is
what is the process for installing a new map in the #SAS folder

farang65

• never two weeks two decades
  • SAS Team
  • Fortress Formosa
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2013, 06:10:56 PM »

Hi Red Spade

i'll make a new thread and sticky tour tutorial naturally all written material acknowledging the author  Red Spade  ;)

Kirby

BravoFxTrt

• "BIGFOOT"
  • Modder
  • Flying Ass Clown #13
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2013, 07:30:49 PM »

@ nzmigman  In your #SAS Folder you should have a MAPMODS Folder, Open it and drag and drop the Downloaded Folders into your opened MAPMODS Folder, it will ask to over write, say yes.  In the Downloaded Map Folder should have a "Readme" File it will tell you what to edit in your all.ini file contained in your Maps Folder. Thats it

If the Map came with a 3do Folder drag and drop that into MAPMODS Folder along with Maps. If in the Readme is documentation for static.ini  go to your STD Folder, and open it all the way untill you see all of the .ini Files, there you will find your static.ini ..... just copy and paste the entire contents to the bottom of your static.ini

Hope this helps you have a propper Map Install!
MSI R9 280X 6GB x2/Crossfire /ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 Mobo/AMD FX 4170 Bulldozer 4core CPU/RAM Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB/ Corsair RM 1000WATT PSU/Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.079 seconds with 24 queries.