Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: MshConverter 1.18 by Dr Jones ~ Link Updated  (Read 46938 times)

western0221

• Modder
  • Live in Japan
    • IL-2 itaki blog
Re: MshConverter 1.18 by Dr Jones ~ Link Updated
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2011, 12:15:08 PM »

#13 problem is solved myself

When I import 3ds,

DO NOT check this "Convert units".

Eexhaton

• Ancient Entity
  • Modder
  • Bukakke Blitzkrieg!
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2011, 06:07:24 AM »

Ok,

new problem for the modelling experts to knack:
- I received some models lately, MshConverter can open them perfectly,
I set all parameters according to what's in this topic.
Then in 3DMax (7) i'm getting an "Improper file format" error when importing the .3DS file generated by MshConverter.
I tried all available import options so far.

I have been able to convert, import and export files with MshConverter to 3DMax and from Max to Msh format in the past.
Is there anything i'm doing wrong?

System info:
Intel 2Ghz
2GB Ram
Windows XP
3DMax 7

My own 2 cents of input i'd like to see proven wrong:
Could it be the step in 3DMax itself, that it has trouble dealing with files made in newer 3DMax versions. (Backward incompatibility) ?

Any help would be really appreciated! :)

western0221

• Modder
  • Live in Japan
    • IL-2 itaki blog
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2011, 12:02:45 PM »

I found a new problem.

A ship with smoothing faces, in IL-2 1946 looks smoothing its curved faces well, and its .msh converted to .3ds.
I import the .3ds into 3ds Max9.
Then smoothing is erased.
Faces are flat.
I will make smoothing groups new from zero.

Is this which.....
1. ".3ds" format's feature limit?
2. "MshConverter" feature limit?
3. My manupilating error?

If .msh 's smoothing is kept importing to Max9, I'm happy.

F22-Raptor-2006

• Aviator Mod Team
  • SAS Honourable Member
    • Aviator Mod Team
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2011, 04:05:28 PM »

The converter and the importer/exporters that we use cannot handle multiple smoothing groups.

just champi

• Modder
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2011, 12:44:33 AM »

.3ds is an old format that comes from MS-DOS era, when 3ds Max was a program that ran in DOS mode. And yes it has its limitations. One of these is that it needs a correspondence 1:1 between texture vertices and mesh vertices,(texture vertices= coordinates in your bitmap texture, the one applied to your mesh)

It doesn't support multiple texture vertices for the same mesh vertex (a normal situation, that many actual formats fully support).

Think in a pyramid, as example for better understand the issue:
 you will use only 5 vertices to build the mesh, but when you do the mapping, you will have 3 texture vertices per side and 4 for the base, 16 texture vertices as a result, so, all individual mesh vertices will be shared for several texture vertices (16:5). That is unsupported by 3ds format.

Probably you have seen that when you use 3dsMax to export a file to 3ds format, you will be faced with an option, checked by default: "preserve Max mapping coordinates", why is this?

because to resolve the anterior situation, and be able to convert the file to 3ds format, the program will add new vertices to your mesh in the places where several texture vertices are shared for the same mesh vertex, until the correspondence 1:1 between them is recovered.(16:16)

Now that the correspondence is restored the file can be saved. but is not the same exact mesh anymore, because where the new vertices were introduced the mesh has been splitted (two or more vertices are placed at the exact same point without being welded) and as side effect of this, the smoothing of original mesh has been broken.

In the other side, if you uncheck the "preserve Max mapping coordinates" what happens is that the mapping coordinates of your mesh are deleted, (you loose them), so they do not conflict with mesh vertices. The file is saved with smoothing groups intact but no mapping.

I think that Mesh converter uses first approach by default (without asking ) to not loose mapping coordinates. But I don't know how to change or fix this behaviour. I wish we have a dedicated tool or format with all features full supported to be able to import/export at any time without loosing any information in the process.  :(

And, just in case you face similar situation, I made my models in 3dsMax 2009. But if I want to open them in 3dsMax9 to use Maraz exporter, I have to export them in .3ds format. (due to incompatibily with newer .Max formats between versions)

So, I use this workarround to overcome the situation:

-Add an "Unwrapp UVW Map modifier" to your whole mesh before export to 3ds, and from within the modifier, without changing nothing else, use the option "save UVW map" to save the mapping to some convenient place in your HD.

-Then export the file to .3ds format without preserving Mapping coordinates (unchecking the option before export, so no new vertices added, no smoothing lost)
-In 3dsMax9, reimport the 3ds file, add a new "Unwrapp UVW Map modifier" and use the option "load UVW map" .
-Now navigate to your UV's previously saved file and hopefully everything will be fine.

I hope is a bit clearer now, but maybe someone with a better understanding can explain it better, or correct me if I'm wrong.

SAS~Riken

• "Area 51"
  • SAS Team
  • Where's Waldo? Who's Waldo?
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2012, 11:26:53 AM »

Is there a version of this or something simular that will work for windows 7?

Verhängnis

• Unofficial Heinkel Fan
  • Modder
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2012, 07:44:19 AM »

+1. I tried running it in Windows XP SP3 compatibility mode and I got it open and can convert meshes and such but I can't see in the 3d renderer, which for me at least is vital so that I can see hook placement. I tried searching for Olivier Couston (Dr.Jones) on the net but couldn't find anything recently relevant from him or a new converter.

crazyflak

• Modder
  • Are your words prettier than silence?
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2012, 11:01:24 AM »

You mean the 3d viewer? I wish there was...

leperemagloire

• Modder
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2012, 08:00:25 AM »

Does anyone know how to run this program in Win7-64.
What dll  should be validated in sysWOW64,to work.
The same opération,like for MatrixParams ?
Like:

2. at Windows 64bit, need registry manual adding
At Windows 64bit, MSSTDFMT.DLL (Matrix Tool needs this DLL) is installed at folder C:\Windows\SysWOW64\
There isn't registered , on Windows x64 default.
You have to input this at comamnd prompt window
> regsvr32 C:\Windows\SysWOW64\MSSTDFMT.DLL

If someone know ! ;)

bassmaniac

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2013, 10:20:58 AM »

Hello!

I've just test this good tool (meshconverter 1.18) on this site, that allow me to import some ww2 3d planes on 3DSmax 2009 (for my own use).

It run perfectly (windows XP) when i choose one by one .msh files of a folder, but it's a hard job to do when there is a lot files to convert..
- Is there a way to do a batch convert with this software? (or maybe a new version that able it?)

Also, i'm not able to open .mat textures files..
- What program should i use to convert this images files to another format like TGA or dds?

Info: After some tests with 3D Ripper DX with no results on 1946 (DirectX8 game), I've found a program that allows a 3D capture of the screen in game (3dvia_printscreen_setup_2.3.exe): the conversion is a .3dxml file that can be import in 3Ds Max with the KoichiSenada plugin: 3dsMaxConvertXML (work only with version of Max 8, 9, 2008 and 2009). The results are not so bad: 80% of the flying model are catched (of course without any textures), that permit at least to rework on it..

Cheers,
Bass

Uzin

• Modder
  • On lifetime holidays
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2013, 10:41:03 AM »

Links in the 1st post of thread are dead, can anybody refresh these, please ?

Epervier

• 4.09 Guardian Angel !
  • SAS Team
  • I'm French and Rebel_409! Nobody is perfect!
    • Some tinkering here
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2013, 01:58:21 PM »

New link in first post !
If your results do not live up to your expectations, tell yourself that the great oak was once an acorn too. - Lao Zi -
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 26 queries.