Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Last for the Stable (for IL2) The Beaufighter MkII  (Read 10398 times)

Kopfdorfer

• Potez 63.11 France's most significant AC in 1940
Last for the Stable (for IL2) The Beaufighter MkII
« on: July 16, 2012, 09:15:41 PM »

Well Guys,

Here is my midsummer request , in order to complete the (practical) stable of the Bristol Type 156 Beaufighter ( pending the much awaited MKVI family from our friends at AV8R ).

Consider the Bristol Beaufighter MkII/IIF

The Prototype

(Woody Harrelson's character in "Wag the Dog" -  " Mmmmn, Purdy!")

Why should this aircraft be represented ?

The Mk II was developed as insurance against any problems with the supply of Hercules engines. It used the Rolls Royce Merlin XX, which provided less power (1,250hp at TO) than the Hercules, and so the performance of the aircraft was reduced [and likely the handling difficulties on take-off and landing exacerbated too!-Kopf]. Despite this, 447 (some sources say 450) Mk IIs were built, entering service from April 1941.

The MkII was the only variant of the Beaufighter series to be powered by a Merlin Engine.
The MKII was the first variant to have a dihedral (12 degrees) applied to the tail plane.
Combined with the Merlin powerplant the MkII was to have a unique (and challenging) FM.
As was often the wont of the Brits , they tended to pass their second rate equipment off on to their junior Allies ( at least until they found that these Allies were performing as well or sometimes better than their own establishment ) , therefore we will see that the bulk of the Beaufighter MkIIs produced were assigned to squadrons from Australia , Canada, Poland and NewZealand.
(a few submarines tied up and disfunctional in Halifax and Esquimalt today suggest that this practice is still alive and well!)
Also a repeated pattern was the political competition between the RAF and the RN for Air assetts, which also saw the FAA behind the RAF technology curve for much of the war ; the Beau MkII equipped several FAA Squadrons as well.
Though with only around 450 built (one source says 447)  , the MkII represents a relatively small percentage of the Beaufighters produced, the use of this aircraft was significant, especially to the hapless "Colonials" who cut their Beaufighter teeth on that model.

As far as I can ascertain , the Squadron distributions for the Beaufighter MkII/IIF are as follows :
96 Sqdn RAF MkII NF
125 Sqdn RAF MkIIF NF
143 Sqdn RAF MkIIF CF
255 Sqdn RAF MkIIF NF
307 (Polish) Sqdn RAF MkIIF NF
404 Sqdn RCAF MkIIF CF
406 Sqdn RCAF MkIIF CF
409 Sqdn RCAF MkIIF NF
410 Sqdn RCAF MkIIF NF
456 Sqdn RAAF MkII NF
488 Sqdn RNZAF MkII NF
515 Sqdn RAF Armament Experimental Establishment
618 Sqdn RAF MkII CF
and 721, 723, 775, 779 and 789 Sqdns of the FAA I'd assume that these would all be CF

Specifications :

Bristol Type 156 Beaufighter MkIIF
Coastal Fighter / Night Fighter
Crew : 2
Wingspan 57' 10" (17.6 m)
Length 42' 9" (13 m)
Height 15' 10" (4.8 m)
Weight Empty 13800 lbs (6259 kg)
Maximum 21000 lbs (9525 kg)
Engine: Two Rolls Royce Merlin XX twelve cylinder liquid cooled engines

I know we already have this in the game, but here's the office for the sake of thoroughness

Observer Position (from an Aussie Beau 21)

Horsepower: 1,250 (some sources say 1,280 hp)
Max Speed: 301 mph at 20,200ft, 283 mph at 15,000 ft (another source says 323mph)
Range: 1,040 miles at 10,000ft at 177 mph (another source says 1,500 miles)
Service Ceiling  26500' (8077 m)
Armament: Four 20mm cannon under fuselage (with 60 round ammo drums - I believe 6 drums carried , but had to be reloaded in flight by the observer - begging the question as to whether this reload period (should alsio be for the MkI variants) could be modelled , six .303in machine guns in wings, all forward firing.

Hispano Detail

Spare ammo drums waiting to be loaded (looks like 6 x to me!)

I was unable to ascertain whic Type/Types of Radar were used on the MkII/IIF (likely AI MkIV) , and it is interesting to note that the Sqdn allocations show the MkII listed on some NF Sqdn establishments, and the MkIIF listed on some CF establishments  anyone with information that might iron out these seemingly illogical trends would be appreciated - kopf

I was also unable to ascertain the breakdown in the production ration between the MkII and the MkIIF.

This pony ought to ride!!!

Kopfdorfer

SAS~GJE52

• Editor
  • Orchard Studios
Re: Last for the Stable (for IL2) The Beaufighter MkII
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 10:20:21 AM »

WIP
Do not criticise a man until you have walked a mile in his shoes...  Then you can call him what you like, as you have his shoes ... and he is a mile away......

singüe

• No por mucho amanecer, se madruga m
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 12:29:53 PM »

Nice!

David Prosser

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 09:27:51 PM »

Well, SAS~GJE52 , that one cetainly has a sting in the tail.

cheers

David Prosser

melissa

• Modder
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 04:13:20 AM »

my version

csvousden

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2014, 04:59:15 PM »

Would love to see this hatched.  Any updates?

SAS~Malone

• flying as #46 with the FAC
  • Editor
  • proud member of that 'other' site
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 11:10:21 PM »

pending the much awaited MKVI family from our friends at AV8R

umm....i'm guessing, 2 years down the line, that this never happened....?  :(
.....taking fun seriously since 1968.....  8)

tooslow

• Stang Driver
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2014, 07:34:58 PM »

I just stumbled across this post and it jogged my memory a bit ... I glad to see it appear again, thanks.

This is from memory ... I'll need to go find the source again, but as I recall ... when I researched this plane long time ago that the prototype actually used two outboard Merlin engines complete with cowlings from a Lancaster bomber.  I would hope that this could make the conversion easier as the Lancaster already exists in the game and the 3D stuff should be available.   I also recall a wide variation in the quoted performance figures with top speed at altitude varying from just under 300 mph to as high as 330 mph, but in all cases the climb rate was lower than with the Hercules engines and the range was longer with the Merlin engines.  Hope this helps.

SAS~Malone

• flying as #46 with the FAC
  • Editor
  • proud member of that 'other' site
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2014, 12:34:01 AM »

i must admit, it's a little disappointing to me (being a huge fan of all things Beau) that it looks like nothing ever came of this thread - besides the request, mention of a MkVI series being worked on almost two years ago, WIP pictures of a variant here from a year ago....
and none of it seems to have come to light in any way..... a real shame... :(
.....taking fun seriously since 1968.....  8)

Kopfdorfer

• Potez 63.11 France's most significant AC in 1940
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2014, 06:25:06 AM »

Glad to see the interest in this particular bird.
Updated my initial request post with an edit or two and a few new pics.

Note that I think it would be particularly interesting to add changing the 20mm ammo drums in flight to the fm ( with a suitable delay period for the weapon to be ready for combat again) !

Kopfdorfer
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 23 queries.