Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Blender Ocean simulator powered wave textures  (Read 53789 times)

Mick

• Modder
Re: Blender Ocean simulator powered wave textures
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2012, 08:57:48 AM »

... you mean the kind of whitish foam on the shore, on the sand ...??

As far as I can remember I have always seen it like that ...   ::)

Friedrich-Wilhelm

« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2012, 09:14:43 AM »

Hello Herra Tohtori,

Thank you for this interesting new addition to Il-2. This looks really impressive! I would like to try it out, but I am stumped about the install. Could you please provide some installation instruction? I have Il-2 4.101 with UP3-RC4 and DBW 1.71.
After extraction, your folder "HT_Water_v0.2abc_TEST," shows three sub-folders: "0_HT_Water_v0.2a," "0_HT_Water_v0.2b," and "0_HT_Water_v0.2c". Do I need to install the contents of all of these, or is the idea to choose one of those three? Do I just drop the contents of one (or each?) folder into the "water" folder in the Textures-folder in "Maps"? Sorry to sound like a novice, but a little help would help.  :)

Thanks,

FW

Mick

• Modder
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2012, 09:19:39 AM »

... you have to choose between the 3 different versions (or test them one by one), as for the rest sorry I don't have that version of the game, but I think you got it right ...  ;)

Sonny Tucson

« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2012, 09:36:10 AM »

... you have to choose between the 3 different versions (or test them one by one), as for the rest sorry I don't have that version of the game, but I think you got it right ...  ;)

Should I dare to say more ... That's indeed the good way !
You can't beat Mick !

Sonny. :)

Herra Tohtori

• Modder
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2012, 05:36:30 PM »

DOWNLOAD v0.3: https://www.mediafire.com/?l40y12pspdnqzi6

Now JSGME compatible!

B version is the same as A, but with stronger normal map.

D version is the same as C, but with stronger normal maps.

The main difference between A and C is how the wave animation is looped. I would appreciate opinions on whether anyone has any preferences, or if anyone can see any difference between the versions, even.

I included Avala's high resolution foam texture in this package.

Testing and feedback is appreciated before I pick just one of the versions and make it the final version release.

hguderian

• Modder
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2012, 05:51:42 PM »

Thank You Herra Thotori...I really like your mod!!

May I suggest to make all .tga textures in 8bit instead of 24bit?
I've converted the 24bit ones from your previous version with no quality loss with the gain if no stutters flyin' at sea-level.

If I've already suggested that..sorry!

Best Regards!!

Herra Tohtori

• Modder
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2012, 07:10:33 PM »

Thank You Herra Thotori...I really like your mod!!

May I suggest to make all .tga textures in 8bit instead of 24bit?
I've converted the 24bit ones from your previous version with no quality loss with the gain if no stutters flyin' at sea-level.

If I've already suggested that..sorry!

Best Regards!!

I would be amazed if there was any actual advantage from using 8-bit indexed textures, for several reasons.

The only 24-bit textures in this are the normal maps.

The normal maps of stock IL-2 water are also in 24bit colour depth. What you're saying would mean that if these textures worked better when indexed, you would get improved performance over stock textures.

As it stands, these water textures use exactly the same amount of resources as the stock game - with the exception of the foam texture which is of higher resolution.

Moreover, there are several technical reasons to why indexed colours in textures don't actually help with rendering performance at all. This is because, despite the file size being smaller, the actual texture takes just as much video card memory as a 24-bit texture.

The only case in which smaller file size can have an effect is with HDD to RAM transfer times, which can in some cases speed up loading times, but when those maps are loaded into memory, there should be absolutely no difference between 8-bit and 24-bit texture performance on in-game rendering graphics.

I'm not disputing your claim right out of hand, though. Could you elaborate on the "stutters"? Can you do some benchmarking? If so, does the stutter affect benchmark results, or is it only a visual perception thing?

Are you certain that there are not some other factors that might be causing it? Because, like I said - technically you should then be getting stutters with the unmodded, stock IL-2 water, too.

Roger Smith

• "Cast in the name of God, ye not guilty" -Big O Boot up message
  • HgZ? He's just another Jason Beck
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2012, 10:18:44 PM »

whoa cool

santobr

• Modder
  • Senta a Pua!
    • F
« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2012, 04:34:07 AM »

Awesome work! Thank you! 8)

santobr.

zack

• Ad Astra.
« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2012, 12:59:38 PM »

Is this mod compatibile with "Carsmaster's water v 3.14b" mod?
Or sholud I replace by this mod?

Which version is the best: A, B, C, D?
I am a little confused about this.
Thanks a lot!

Herra Tohtori

• Modder
« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2012, 01:14:55 PM »

Is this mod compatibile with "Carsmaster's water v 3.14b" mod?
Or sholud I replace by this mod?

Much like Carsmasters' water, this mod is intended to replace the stock water with something I think looks a bit better.

As such, this shouldn't be used "together" with Carsmasters' water. Depending on the order of file loading, one or the other would take precedence anyway, so you would only ever see the one that happens to load first.

Which version is the best: A, B, C, D?
I am a little confused about this.

That's what I wish to find out! Try them, see if you can discern any differences. If there is some that you think looks the best, please make a note here! My goal is to eventually release the mod in one version to reduce confusion as to which variant to select, but as of now, the mod is still technically WIP until I get some feedback on this issue.

Like I mentioned earlier, the key differences between A/B and C/D variants are that the animation is looped with slightly different method - for better or for worse, is really difficult for me to say.

Differences between A and B, and respectively C and D, is the strength (or intensity) of the normal maps of the water surface. If the term "normal map" doesn't tell you anything, I'll just say it's a type of texture that determines how light is reflected from a surface. Stronger normal map causes the surface to appear slightly more uneven, while a weaker normal map makes the surface appear more flat.

Thanks a lot!

You're welcome.

Diving_Hawk

« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2012, 07:47:59 AM »

I want to thank you a lot for taking the time to do this work.

I fly mostly PTO and the sea is a lot more interesting now.

S! Great job :D
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 20 queries.