Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Map making - coast-align & map-h query  (Read 3736 times)

tabbycat

Map making - coast-align & map-h query
« on: February 09, 2012, 03:41:45 PM »

I'm currently editing map_h by hand at pixel level to try to improve the look of my rivers and I have a couple of questions:

1. Does the CoastAlign tool adjust map_c or map_h .... or both?
2. If it affects map_h, should I run the coast-align tool on a hand-edited map_h or would doing so wreck all my work on it?

Background info about the map in this thread: https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,21607.0.html

Thanks,

Terry

tabbycat

Re: Map making - coast-align & map-h query
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 06:05:53 PM »

OK - I figured out the answer to my first question - the CoastAlign tool must only affect map_h as the input files are MYmap_c and map_h  ..... so obviously, the map_c that's been previously created by the Map_c Toolbox ain't going to be affected by the CoastAlign tool .... duh!

... so, that leaves my second question - if I hand-edit map_h at pixel level, what effect will the CoastAlign tool have on it and will it mess up my edits?

farang65

• never two weeks two decades
  • SAS Team
  • Fortress Formosa
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 08:51:51 PM »

Hi Tabby Cat,

I'll give you a load of info will post again later tonight.

map_h work is a lot of fun can be tidious at times but well worth it.

Kirby

farang65

• SAS Team
  • Fortress Formosa
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 03:36:53 AM »

Hi There,

I use some of Agraciers techniques as well as one or two of my own.

Firstly

I paint as a layer on the ed map all the necessary rivers using a reasonable river source image of the map your working on.

I paint this first  layer in a bright colour like yellow, pink or teal or light puke green.

After painting the rivers using 2 pixals 3 pixals and sometimes 5 pixals I save as a copy roughly 5 times.

This will help with your Mymap_c, map_h, map_T ed_map_T and ed_map

As an example I place the high coloured layer on top of map_h. I then start to paint rivers using 1 rgb up to 100 rgb keeping rivers pretty uniform

example 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60 rgb etc for short distances starting at the ocean end of the river.

I use the above for very long rivers to hopefully create an undulating river down to sea level.

I have also used 5, 10, 15, 20, and 25 rgb same as above and that seemed to work well.

I then paint out the rivers like this over the highly coloured rivers layer it takes some time to do but you can see what you have done and what needs to be finished easily.

Once I've completed the rivers layer on map_h I fix it to the original map_h

Secondly, I then bucket fill a high coloured copy layer for rgb 0 and fix this on to My map_c blurring it a couple of times

After the initial work of map_h and Mymap_c I then run it through the coast align.

It does not effect your map_h painted rivers.

Thirdly, I then go into FMB + and look at all the rivers. Some will by quite ok other will need some work in the FMB+

I detail rivers in FMB + by working from the beginning of a river to the oceans end. It's easier to see the triangular humps that need to be attended to.

Also the banks can be widened depending on small open triangles from the original river cut.

Detailing rivers in FMB + takes some time and some times it good to have some other pairs of eyes to pont out what you've missed.

This way takes a hell of a lot longer instead of painting rivers as rgb 0 on map_h but well worth it in the long term.

I've recently been mapping Northern Borneo and am also working on a full Java/Bali map.
Cheers Kirby

tabbycat

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 09:20:44 AM »

Many thanks for the detailed info, Kirby .... I'd got to the point of experimenting with temporarily colouring various layers with bright colours; so it seems I was on the right track, but reading through the details of your workflow has been most helpful - especially the reassurance that the CoastAlign tool won't mess up my hand-edited rivers  :)

Perhaps you could answer another question for me ......... which scale is preferable for detail work on map_h, i.e. is it better to work on a version at 100% (same size as Mymap_c) and scale down to 25% after editing or to scale down first and edit at the reduced size?

Terry

farang65

• SAS Team
  • Fortress Formosa
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 05:38:59 PM »

Hi Terry,

I scale down Mymap_c  to the same size as map_h easier to work with.

map_h ,map_T, ed_map_t, and ed_m02 are all the same size.

After your work is finished on map_h and fixing the new painted layer to map_h  I then fix the a bucket filled 0 rgb of the rivers layer to Mymap_c

I then resize Mymap_c to it's original size.

The finally run them both through coast align.

Also make sure your map_h and Mymap_c are changed back to grey scale.

Sometimes you forget to do this after working in rgb mode for a long time.

With my current projects I am using 100 pixals as a scale. Pity I could not get them to be 50 pixals as a scale just a tad too big for that scale.

For map_T

use a highly coloured rivers layer on top of map_T . Bucket fill the coloured rivers with rgb 28-30          with rgb 31 you'll end up with ocean coastlines on most of them.

For ed_map_T

Use a highly coloured layer on top of ed_map_t  Bucket fill the coloured rivers of rgb 28. This will allow for navigable rivers. (rgb0 land rgb 28 oceans and rivers)

For ed_m01 and ed_m02

Your choice of colouring for the rivers on your on ed map.

Scale up ed_mo2 as I start work with that one to the orignal size of ed_m01 for your new ed maps.

Cheers Kirby

tabbycat

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 06:18:08 PM »

This is all really helpful stuff, Kirby ..... thanks again for taking the trouble to write it up.

I think I'm making progress .... here's a snapshot taken during testing of a recently completed section of river:

In the area covered by this map, the only navigable sections of river are the estuaries; the rest are there as visual aids to aerial navigation.

Avala

• Modder
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 09:13:56 PM »

This is all really helpful stuff, Kirby ..... thanks again for taking the trouble to write it up.

I think I'm making progress .... here's a snapshot taken during testing of a recently completed section of river:

In the area covered by this map, the only navigable sections of river are the estuaries; the rest are there as visual aids to aerial navigation.

Great looking river banks there. And hills looks very close to the river. How wide is the river?

tabbycat

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 02:52:34 PM »

Great looking river banks there.

Thanks, Avala :)

And hills looks very close to the river. How wide is the river?

I've tried to get the river as narrow as possible without it closing in on itself; so mostly 1 to 2 pixels wide.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.08 seconds with 26 queries.