Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Video Settings from PC Pilot mag  (Read 6173 times)

Maico

• Knight Knee Dragger
Video Settings from PC Pilot mag
« on: September 06, 2011, 04:13:15 AM »

Hey Fledglings,
  Got my first subscription issue of PC Pilot yesturday.  I love this magazine even thou it tends to focus on FSX and civilian stuff.  It is a great read and has saved me from many boring airport stays.  So I get my first issue and there it is, How to tweak COD to make it look and perform better. 
  I was a bit sceptical as Mr. Peter Wright uses a ATI card (he is with the dark side) and I am an Nvidia guy.  However, I proceded to jot down his suggestions and when I got home I was in for a surprise.  With just these small changes I went from 33 to 40+ fps and the eye popping candy is there in spades.  Without further ado, here are the sugested settings.

First, start the game and using a track get a baseline of what fps you are getting. 
I used Black Death Track and got an average of 33 fps. 

While we are in the game lets go to the video settings screen and make the following settings.
I got most things here on Med except Textures on High
Beleive me, you will not be missing a thing...
Here are the big ones now
AA  OFF, yes  OFF
Anti Epilepsy   OFF
SSAO             OFF
VSYNC           OFF  (I know, I know)
Grass             OFF this is a known performance killer. 

Now back out of the game and lets set the Video Card interface.  If are like me, you play a few games cos. Unlike my girl,  flight sims dont mind if you play with other flight sims :o)
So you go to (Nvdia) Manage 3d settings/ Add / then navagate to the game's exe.  Once added
Set your video preferences and Use this
AA  4X (later you can bump this up)
AF  8X
VSYNC ON
  Make sure to hit Apply at the bottom right  and start the game.  That is it.  From just these settings I got a 10fps jump but best of all I got rid of a lot of the jitters.  For now it is much more flyable and enjoyable. 
  Do not thank me, Thanks to Peter Wright.  See his article in PC Pilot Sept 2011 issue.  Dont stand there and read it either, Buy IT! Its the best thanks we can give him.

Good Day Pilots.

Maico
i7 3.06 @4.0Ghz
GTX 580
16 Ghz DDR3

razor1uk

• Tamago no Chie
  • Modder
  • Naturally common sence is always ignored...
Re: Video Settings from PC Pilot mag
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 04:43:59 AM »

Cool find Maico :) hopefully this will aid others...

I suppose that this highlights the tech advances and newer abilities of owning the newer pc's like an 8-cored Inter Hurling Business 'Corezilla' pc's with DeDadRum3 and Nativid GSXR7890 gfx etc, we can forget to set up the pc for the game, as much as we hope that just setting the game for the pc will work.

HundertzehnGustav

• Banned on Sep 11/2012
  • Arrogant Narcisistic Pussy
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 08:22:55 AM »

interesting...
moves the workload from the software to the hardware, or how do i understand this?

Maico

• Knight Knee Dragger
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 11:43:20 PM »

interesting...
moves the workload from the software to the hardware, or how do i understand this?

That is how I see it.  All I know is that it works.  My girlfriend is not a fan. >:(   :)

NIGHTFIGHTER

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 10:32:09 AM »

Well like you i was happy to see P.C pilot try to help us out, but was sad to see it was more or less for an ATI graphics card.  Im working with a
 AMD Phenom 9850 Quad-Core processor
3072 mb ram
764mb used
4192mb available
DX-9c
Nvidia Geforce 9500GT
and having got the game yesturday took the advice about the in game fraps counter and since trying that the game would not work.  I backtracked on that option and got a normal external fraps counter and found i was getting from 4-7 Fps, very poor when i think im getting between 25-30 fps in IL-2.
As for his idea of clocking the graphics card i havn't a clue how to do that with a Nvidia, and indeed could this not damage the card if like me you are a novice on computers??
Yes i need help, and i haven't a clue what to do...Gary

Borsch

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 06:29:08 PM »

Nvidia Geforce 9500GT

That is your problem right there. This video card is several tiers below the rest of your PC components. You must get a better card to enjoy CloD, RoF etc.

CWMV

• Kalashnikov connoisseur
  • Modder
  • A free people ought to be armed and disciplined.
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 10:42:04 AM »

You may do better to use something like FSAA than the 8x your set at now.
Its known that the AA in game is badly broken and inoperable at this point, and the game does not respond to AA settings in the Nvidia control panel, but with FSAA I get a pretty nice looking picture, and it saves on the resources the game uses.
I average 60fps most of the time. No stutters, no freezes, just smooth.

BravoFxTrt

• "BIGFOOT"
  • Modder
  • Flying Ass Clown #13
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 01:48:13 AM »

When a fella or gal who waited and bought CloD can finally adjust the best (not perfect), "there aint one", combination of windows, graphics, hardware, and software to their machines pinnacle performance, well damn, CloD isnt that bad of a contender. :) Im happy.

But you have to do your home work to reach satisfaction, really.
MSI R9 280X 6GB x2/Crossfire /ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 Mobo/AMD FX 4170 Bulldozer 4core CPU/RAM Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB/ Corsair RM 1000WATT PSU/Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit

Verhängnis

• Unofficial Heinkel Fan
  • Modder
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2011, 02:26:41 AM »

Any good tips for improving performance?  :)

Also what are your computer specs?

BravoFxTrt

• "BIGFOOT"
  • Modder
  • Flying Ass Clown #13
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2011, 04:14:38 AM »

I registered to God knows how many Graphics and Game Tweakers Forums, ??? read lots of good stuff we all need to know and more. ;)
I tweaked/tuned my CPU and GPU timings, this is still WIP. >:(
Tried just about most configuration settings in game and CCC/Radeon Pro. (WIP) :-\
Drank lots of beer and coffee. still WIP :P
[window]----> If you read that this config comment works, itduzz, really. :o
  DepthBits  =32
  StencilBits=16

Radeon HD5750 1GB
Mobo GA-MA790GP-UD4H
AMD Phenom 9750 Quad-Core ~2.4GHz
(RAM)4.00 GB
Windows7 Pro64--->all subject to change (better) $$$ ::) with out warning (hoping)!
And prior to all that I come here at SAS regularly to learn and do. Thanks SAS~S~ ;D

MSI R9 280X 6GB x2/Crossfire /ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 Mobo/AMD FX 4170 Bulldozer 4core CPU/RAM Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB/ Corsair RM 1000WATT PSU/Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit

Dimus

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2011, 04:36:40 AM »

You may do better to use something like FSAA than the 8x your set at now.
Its known that the AA in game is badly broken and inoperable at this point, and the game does not respond to AA settings in the Nvidia control panel, but with FSAA I get a pretty nice looking picture, and it saves on the resources the game uses.
I average 60fps most of the time. No stutters, no freezes, just smooth.

I can confirm that adjusting AA and AF in the Nvidia control panel or through Nvidia inspector has no effect. CWMV, can you elaborate on this FSAA? What is it exactly?

Trees and shadows also shimmer a lot! In FSX we fight that with AF. There is no AF option in game and from NCP it does not work. Any other options?

EDIT: I think I found what you were referring to in this thread:

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=25281

Looks like a good interim solution. A newer customisable version is linked a couple of pages before the end. I will try that one tonight.

BravoFxTrt

• "BIGFOOT"
  • Modder
  • Flying Ass Clown #13
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2011, 10:23:15 AM »

Oh I didnt mention that tip, I thought I was the last person to know about it, lol. Been using it ever since I saw it posted.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.075 seconds with 26 queries.