Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 ... 22   Go Down

Author Topic: Rabaul 1944 WiP  (Read 72487 times)

c87

Re: Rabaul 1944 WiP
« Reply #168 on: July 02, 2013, 05:46:00 PM »

Bee, I just finished reading "Islands of Destiny" by John Prados about the Solomons campaign. I'm itching to re-create the November 1943 raid on Rabaul and take out some heavy cruisers. Eagerly waiting for this map! Hope it won't be too much longer.

Rob

Taurus

• On your wing
« Reply #169 on: July 29, 2013, 03:21:25 AM »

Very nice work Bee,

Just an observation. Compared to the building and roads on the last pics, the large craters appear to be very large to scale. The recon photos of bombing raids in Europe should give an approximation to the ratio of bomb size, blast crater, road size. It is just an observation. The map is coming along beautifully.

Cheers,

Bee

• Modder
« Reply #170 on: July 29, 2013, 10:33:26 PM »

Thanks Taurus. I'll scale them down some for the final.  Too-small craters don't look very convincing at the available resolution, so I've needed to compromise to a degree.  Rataval took some big hits though.  1000 pound bombs as well as the regular 250's. 

max_thehitman

• SAS~Area51
  • Modder
  • Beer...Girls...IL2+Mods!
« Reply #171 on: July 30, 2013, 08:56:24 PM »

Its looking great Bee. A really nice artsy looking landscape. I would love to fly over that place.
You might be interested to know that I will soon be releasing a collection of retextured + new bomb craters
for the IL2 game . They will be in many diferent styles, shapes and sizes.
These might help you complete your great map as I am painting the craters to be a little more realistic
looking than the previous "plastic looking craters" we used to have from the old game. These new craters will blend in with
practicly any IL2-game map (summer/winter/desert/Pacific islands/muddy terrain/bombed concrete runways) and they will fit into
the sorrounding landscape quite good. I am still testing each one in many diferent maps to make sure it will come out looking
proper and nice on many maps.
I will give you a shout when I release them in the next 2 weeks  ;)  I think you will like them .

In the meantime, you can also check out some other new craters just released.
There is also a new set of nicely painted craters released recently by the Team-Daedulus inside their latest patch for
the IL2-1946 (patch 4.12). Those also look very good.
Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening ! Welcome to SAS1946

trent

« Reply #172 on: July 30, 2013, 11:09:17 PM »

Fantastic work, Bee! I'm really looking forward to this beautiful map of yours!   :)

Taurus

• On your wing
« Reply #173 on: July 31, 2013, 01:31:38 AM »

Rataval took some big hits though.  1000 pound bombs as well as the regular 250's. 

With IL-2 there will always be trade offs...

After viewing 5th airforce footage and pics, you've really captured the terrain. Looks like the B-24's were mostly 1,000 pounders while the B-25 straffers were para's. With some well crafted P-40's, and some P-38's and A-20's, this map will make for some great missions in "Pushing the bombers forward"!

Cheers,

(P.S. Timely work Max!)

On a side note, there is not much info from the web for crater reference so just throwing it in here. And it seems that there is no hard and fast rules on calculating craters. Damage recon photo's are probably the best if you can get them.

http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/78147-Bomb-Size Comment by EODGUY

"These figures are from FM 9-40, Explosive Ordnance Reconnaissance and Disposal, March 1953.

Crater Diameters in Feet

10-20 ft 100 lb. GP bomb
 10-30 ft 250 lb. GP bomb
 10-35 ft 500 lb. GP bomb
 15-50 ft 1000 lb. GP bomb
 20-60 ft 2000 lb. GP bomb

As you know the variables in size are soil type, depth of penetration and size of the bomb. The crater diameter will usually increase with the depth of penetration to a point when further penetration will actually result in a smaller diameter crater. That point, of course, is one that really can't be determined except by analysis of craters in a specific soil/geographic area and alittle knowledge of the bombs dropped in the area. It depends on bomb size, bomb impact velocity, soil type, bomb construction, etc. That is why the 10 foot minimum size can be found in three different sized bombs. Not sure this is of any help to you because it is not an exact science."

Bee

• Modder
« Reply #174 on: August 01, 2013, 09:16:42 PM »

Map has now been sent to Boomer for creation of taxi and takeoff points.  Please divert all demands, accusations and proposals of marriage to him.  :P

c87

« Reply #175 on: September 20, 2013, 06:00:17 PM »

Map has now been sent to Boomer for creation of taxi and takeoff points.  Please divert all demands, accusations and proposals of marriage to him.

Ok, Boomer.  I don't know you, you don't know me but I'm willing to take my chances on an arranged marriage to get this map  ;)

Any chance it'll break free sometime in the near future?  Just dying to fly this map.

Rob

panzerkeil

• Woof!
« Reply #176 on: September 21, 2013, 07:59:37 AM »

If you are in to bigamy please marry me to!   :-*   

Bee

• Modder
« Reply #177 on: September 23, 2013, 05:28:58 AM »

Crawling towards the finish line.   Friend Boomer has been abducted by real life so I've been muddling through the airfields alone.  Managed to get Vunakanau, Tobera, Rapopo and Gasmata operational.  I've got the groundwork in for Green Island's two strips as well and am currently doing the taxi points etc. 

Got a little sidetracked by another map project that is dear to my heart (more about that later) but with a bit of luqa.. I mean a bit of luck, it shouldn't be too far off. 

SAS~Tom2

• SAS Honourable Member
  • no sweat
« Reply #178 on: September 23, 2013, 07:28:10 AM »

Very good news Bee. :)

crazyeddie

• Modder
« Reply #179 on: September 23, 2013, 09:38:20 AM »

And Hal Far along would that project dear to your heart be Bee ....................  ;)
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 ... 22   Go Up

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 27 queries.