Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Clash of Eagles, Dedicated Mod DCG BoB Campaign for SAS Dark Blue World  (Read 42940 times)

Slink

• Cosmetic to some; to others a nightmare! - Merlin

Hi back KB, thanks, good to hear you got 1.6 working, welcome to the Dark (Blue) Side.

Took a while to get the DCG files sorted out with all the unexpected weapons entries problems, and quite a few screw-ups on my part, but somebody has to do it, so… Seems to be just about OK now but there will probably be another loadout option for some plane somewhere that turns out to have an underscore, or not actually exist, but DBW 1.7 will hopefully simplify this with the reduced plane set, and maybe even an accurate weapons file, but will change loadouts and probably be just the first step in consolidation, so the story isn't over yet. On top come accurate details for all the jet era planes, and optional data sets for the DBW add-on packages to come, and any new planes, so there’s still lots of potential/work. (but do update that campaign, and the jet era plane data for DCG too if you like, I’m no jetman! Well, actually CirX did make me fly around as jetman for a while as punishment for being such a know-it-all, but then I found Angelina also with a pack strapped on her back and haven’t looked down since...).

I looked at your project at M4T (very belatedly now), and had similar problems initially with the CC map, but as the only 1:1 map available it was also the only option. This actually caused a great deal of unnecessary effort unless you count all that as learning mapping, as there was so much to be corrected it was a real learning exercise. Initially tried to get the airfields working, turned out some were even doubled as if pasted twice, are extremely object heavy, over complex, late war oriented and many are copies, then the map-h, which is to be honest a mess, coming out more like the Death Star trenches, and all for a few cliffs to crash into, but replacing it is problematic as the projection they used in Microdem is unknown and the whole thing may have been post processed so getting a matching shot from a DEM is practically impossible, but basically it just looks nothing like Blighty.

At the time I just wanted a combination with Cannon’s map with more of France, but then more kept coming with BOF, Biscay, Northsea, SND, Holland, Westfront; all covering parts of the same area and partially overlapping, but none compatible with another, which is fine, the more the merrier, but does seem to be a bit of multiplication of effort, so why not all in one? So to prevent having to do multiple road/sea networks in DCG, or just AA/target layouts in mis files, it seemed to make more sense to have one large map covering the entire area which could be added to over time but forms a playable base for any campaign with specific actors/ini files for the area concerned, over progressive periods, either thin or detailed according to the size of the area of action for the campaign. Once the base map exists anyone can build their own scenario on it with dedicated actors/ini files or even textures; also needs a darkened night version. The biggest problem is indeed texturing, as getting a characteristic look for each country/area without repetitive tiling is always going to have to be a compromise, but still looks better than the CloD map! I’ll make some screenies, but it’s still just a (working) draft, but should perhaps go a bit further north and east to include Newcastle and Hamburg for those long bombing missions. Come to think of it the new big Med theatre map follows a similar principle, ideally you would never see the edges, but someone will always want to fly over anyway.

Extending this you then get a set of 6-12 big maps (clean they run as fast as any other, like online maps, it’s only the total number and variety of objects that make a difference) which with some overlapping (texturing limitations?) would cover the whole European area. Extending that to DCG the rds files would also be made to allow overlap and continuation from one to the next (using nodes as origins from the overlapping sections), so eventually the whole set up already exists and making campaigns is all about game play and not slogging through all the background work.

I also had a thought about making the map (ini) a timetable function, so theoretically there could be a different map with textures/actors and specific conditions, pressure, temp, etc, for each day of a campaign if anyone wanted to take it that far. This is all in my DCG doc draft along with many more ideas/suggestions, I’ll have to clean up the draft and post it to see what people think, before scaring the crap out of Paul. This also has suggestions for dealing with transit times, interceptions, night fighting, scripting, campaign management, gui, etc.

Airfields; on the CC map these are full of problems, missing h flattening, AI confusing paths, and the friction areas may be misplaced too. With these set in the map.ini file there’s no problem for DCG (and which in the above would also allow sticky airfields in wet weather...), but if there’s a mismatch you get an edge effect and a distinctive bump as planes cross it, possibly even nose overs. Flattening is another point here, I wanted to use the original heights averaged in Microdem with friction values, so the Bump can actually be bumpy, but buildings end up half sunken, planes on slopes slide all over the place, and concrete plates disappear halfway into the ground so it's probably unavoidable despite being difficult to blend in properly, but it really requires map-h editing as doing it manually in FMB never seems to avoid slight edge mismatching, blend instead of peak can be better, same smoothing effect as using averaging in Microdem for map-h. However I did have all the CC fields working eventually, and added new ones, but with all the effort going into a basically flawed map it seemed better to just use that as a test bed and start afresh, as I wanted more than just South East England anyway, from the premise of making a minimal “online” base which could be extended at will, but trying to do Berlin density on a map this size is obviously pointless, so photo-realistic ground textures with objects only where they are relevant is the key, as the idea is to fly and fight, not sight seeing, although a tour through a populated London in a jeep would also be possible but only London, not the whole map or it would never load, but if someone wants to why not, just don’t try combat operations with the same actors file. This is actually the entire point, it’s possible to have as many ini files as you like, one a day even as above, so the options are endless and we only really need a single large base map for continuity/compatibility, and all the effort of building road networks etc need only be done once. One map.ini a day in all.ini is however a bit much for the standard DBW game, as with a lot of other things in this mod/campaign, which is why it’s a dedicated add-on so as not to overload basic DBW and allow almost complete flexibility.

The big map (CoE or NWE or something) is still a rough draft, using standardised placeholder airfields (which do work however) as the point is to get the campaign running (and eventually actually released…) but both map and campaign can be continuously updated so we don’t all have to wait five years before the thing comes out with every garden shithouse in Europe correctly positioned for your frame rate displeasure… but updating any airfield, as long as it’s low on objects, can be done as an individual project and then added to the actors when it’s ready, so if we want accurate (time period too) airfields then it’s relatively easy to add them and build up seasonal sets year by year, but it’s not meant to be sight-seeing as I said, and no trees, I’m trying replacing the stock 3D RGB 24 trees with tiled and blended textures and .tree extensions for colour matching and reduced load, and no more losing half your squad to crashing into the bloody forests, makes the point of flying over England almost irrelevant for the RAF, and looks better too… waste of texture slots actually, if there was a way to improve/optimise/replace the stock 3D forests… Bridges are also an issue, need to be minimal to avoid having to drop down to sea level but required for the road/rail network, and I want to avoid bridge attacks in DCG, rail yards yes, but bridges are a total failing in IL2, along with the bloody ships dammit. Still setting locations in DCG for 200 or more airfields to get the campaign transferred over, then new sea routes and mission maps, but once done we’re back in the air.

However, this campaign is meant to be just the start, covering the BoB period for the same reasons as CloD probably, apart from my personal interests, but thanks to DCG is open to being extended forward or backwards using different actors/textures (new airfields etc.) along with new campaign sections in the grand campaign, all interlinked and continuous so you can start in 1939 and go all the way to 46, try surviving through that one. I could possibly spend the rest of my days extending it but I'm just laying the foundations, it’s meant to be open to the community to add on to, just keeping to the basic principles and continuing on from the existing files/set up, or pre-dating them, but all at half scale and historically based/researched (never ending) using the timetable as the primary tool, more on that in the DCG doc later, but also as a single unified campaign without needing separate campaigns for fighter, bomber, or whatever, everything runs from the same campaign, apart from the night fighting currently, but again there’s more on that in the DCG doc.

This thing is however so big and extensive, historically up to four sorties a day except in bad weather, and then sometimes, and the missions are by nature long, it’s not something for a quick spin like QMB, more a long hard graft under full real and mostly about surviving, as historically, so probably not for the faint hearted. This campaign should however also lend itself to co-ops, considering all the recent discussion, but that’s currently beyond my brief and makes more sense once the single player version is actually up and running, and I’m no co-op expert anyway, but maybe later, why not, the potential is there, but I never flew online myself.

There are many features and aspects people could help/get involved with, RDDR already started with MAT manager, (thanks mate!) it’s not actually meant to be a one man show. Historical data for squads & events, aces with pilot skins, airfield layouts, installations, targets, etc; for follow up campaigns not just this one, good skins for stand-in planes and squads generally (currently making a collection so squads and aces are all unique, but it’s a lot to download and would need to extend for different periods) currently using Martins’ textures but probably need to make new ones, need a full rail layout on the map first, and eventually road network, with corresponding DCG files, atmosphere and flavour, period music and briefing files, and the historical documentation which was the starting point of it all anyway.

Beyond the basic map/campaign though there would also need to be more campaign sections with detailed timetables to move into 41 onwards or back to France, Norway would need a different map, but once the basis is there it can be expanded at will, well almost. I won't be able to do the entire set of campaigns for the entire war period with what-ifs branching and corresponding load.inis ad infinitum single handed, unless everyone is prepared to wait several years probably, so I'm currently looking at going up to mid 41 where the campaign ends (from the German perspective) to include the possibility of a Sealion 41 too, but after that it's a different campaign really, but all that's required is a little coordination so people don't double up effort doing the same thing twice, really should be a community/team effort, I just want to get the ball rolling and then get to actually play the campaign myself eventually, but there’s loads to do, we still need the Do17, and a SU2/Defiant Franken hack, Ki21/Hudson, He115, or maybe just edited class files to change the labels on screen, though we shouldn’t be using them actually, with vectors and GCI/observers should really be icons off as pipsqueak was only for the radar, but I digress... but the changes I’m proposing in DCG would make an enormous difference so need to get on with that too, but not to forget thanks again to CY6 for the amazing C&C objects which allow things previously undreamed of and are basically a core component now.

So after the possibly longest post in SAS history, hope it clarifies and brings things a bit up to date, unless everyone has already fallen asleep of course, but thanks for the offers of help, any contributions are greatly appreciated, although I often don’t know what I’m doing next myself, trying to do it all simultaneously is just a bit demanding, and I'm a bit slow anyway, but I’ll try and get a test version together to show how it works and where the gaps are, but will take a while still.

However, I’ll get the DCG doc sorted out so you can see what I’m talking about, it’s not that much really, but some things would greatly expand campaign building possibilities, but it all needs prioritising as there’s no way it would all come at once, and would all depend on Paul himself of course, otherwise we just have to do our best with what we have.

Meanwhile, some very quick pics of a very rough WIP, all texturing is still very provisional;

Airfields so far, nevermind the google, it's just for placement...

Dover to be

Cliffs still to come

Welsh coast and valleys, somewhere there will be a little tent which is me out camping...

Lake district in the North

Ireland from the Scottish coast

Thames Estuary

Bomber Command airfield, can someone desaturate those sandbags?

Looking out from the Met office, how do they keep everything so bright and squeaky clean? Mixx has some better building textures. The noise.tga could do with a higher res too.

A generic place holder small grass airfield with roundabout taxiing and multiple take offs/landings, works too!

Cycle

• Modder

Hi,
That was really a long post but for a huge project! The map looks really impressive and I'm curious about the campaign!
Will there be a 4.09 version . . . just kidding!
All the best, Slink!
"Lenin sagte einmal, der ungebildete Mensch stehe außerhalb der Politik. Heute aber haben wir ein gebildetes Volk. Wie wir in den letzten Jahren handelten, bedeutete, es aus der Politik herauszuhalten. Das ist eine Mißachtung des Volkes. Das ist eine Art Elitedenken." Michail Gorbatschow

Slink

Airfix in IL2!?
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2011, 05:53:31 PM »

Final proof that the planes in IL2 are actually Airfix kits... anybody got a tube of glue handy?

RDDR Hangar19

• Modder

Good God Slink!! Let me put it this way. How much coffee do you drink a day?

Amazing amount of work you've done. Very,very impressive mate ;) ;)

Cheers, RDDR

alotef

• Modder

I saw the picture of the map and my jaw literally dropped. No joke, I thought I'd have to stick it back to my skull with tape!
HOLY HELL!
Wow. Just wow.

Slink

Thanks for the support guys, it really does help with motivation when you’re spending hours making an edit and then waiting for Gimp to stop thrashing about and finally update the screen, do keep checking in though to stay up to date.

A quickie here though if anyone wants to try it is to “mod” microdem.exe with large address aware and 4GB max heap size, seems to help with big DEMs, or maybe I’m imagining it, but till the 64bit version is out, and the beta exe is updated often but still buggy buggy, it will have to do.

Actually tried the same trick with the java exe files in IL2 (4 of them in bin). Seems to be smoother, certainly does not seem to cause any problems, had the campaign running fine with the “modded” exes which is a quite heavy but fairly limited environment as far as testing goes, maybe someone who actually knows what they’re talking about can try it and see if it really does improves anything, Storebror? Pablo?

However, once jaws are back in place, I’ve been experimenting with an alternative which should be comparable to the Italy at War map; this is about 1,500km square and just a raw test for now to check loading etc. The top right of Norway is missing though; I need to remember where I got the full DEM data for N60, Japanese, ASTER?

Trouble is this puts the whole thing behind schedule even more, but it’s a question of doing it now before rebuilding the whole campaign around a smaller map and then redoing it all later, so since there’s already the huge Italy at war map in progress maybe this one could go with it and cover the ETO theatre. It’s a lot of little fiddly bits with the fjords in Norway though, and we do want to get it out before CloD actually works and the whole thing gets cancelled…

Actually the map is just meant to be a vehicle for the campaign though, and I’m no master mapper, but I’d rather only do it once and then update gradually with all the details and variations once the campaign is out (actually Kapteeni’s WIP alpha Italy campaign could be the perfect partner), and the bigger map allows other campaigns and extensions to all use the same data and environment. However, the bigger the map the more effort & time required, and textures become even more problematic, not to mention declination etc; but it would start as just the basic map and be extended later, population being a multiple variable according to period and focus of campaign activity, and certainly not the entire thing in intricate detail from 39 to 46, but who knows, eventually?

So to expand or not? Any thoughts?
Maybe it helps if we all sing along…

It’s a long way, to the map edge,
it's a long way to go,
it's a long long way till we get there,
but it's worth the wait I know,
goodbye, little boxes, hello vast expanse,
it's a long long way back to Blighty, but it's a route we'll get to know.

Coffee? Far too much, lots of Coke too, and far too many ciggies, and all late at night, honestly, modding can be bad for your health, but as we know it’s a (creative) addiction, seriously. So, still on the go, and still have to do the DCG4DBW update once 1.7 comes out, update the campaign, update the docs and go hassle Paul with my ramblings, and finally get back to writing the book as they say. Good to see so much new stuff coming out recently though, things do seem to be moving ahead.

Oh, and in reference to alotef’s avatar and another thread including Idefix, let me introduce you to his sister, my little helper…

alotef

• Modder

Aw, she even looks like me!  :D
I think its a good idea to add to it over time so that if some people have a lower-end spec computer they won't have as hard a time running it all in one shot with 30,000,000 objects, personally. Anyway, whatever decision you come to, it looks brilliant so far.  :)

Toasted_Toad

• Crashaholic
  • I come from a land "Down Under".

+10  A true labour of love (or obsession  :D  )

Like all large projects, take your time and enjoy, don't burn out and get to hate it.

We appreciate your efforts, even those that look but don't comment.

Cheers,

T_T.

Slink

Re: Clash of Eagles, Dedicated Mod DCG BoB Campaign for SAS Dark Blue World
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2011, 05:01:52 PM »

Nah, no worries mate, “cancellation” is just part of the Douglas Adams reference, but thanks anyway, cheers mate! You might be right with the obsession though. However, in preparation for some populating here’s how it looks in Google to give an impression of scale, this is just the rough M01 as an overlay with a KML and google showing through. The A labels are HAA sites and decoys etc; and only the 1940 airfield sites are needed for now. Would be nice to have the same level of detail for Europe, must be around here somewhere.

Flew across the draft map last night in a Blenheim, think I’ll have to look up the navigation beacons as it’s easy to get lost on here, well, it is almost empty at the moment but I think landmarks are going to be important, but 30,000,000 million objects, don’t make me even think about it. Basic map, campaign, details, extension, and all in two weeks!

Also need to extend the micro icon set as zooming out the map on screen gets very cluttered, but there’s not much can be done with the texts. Need to get on with this as I really want to get the campaign up and running again, so, on with the draft, just about meets up with War in Italy, but I seem to have missed Vienna, does anyone want to bomb Wiener Neustadt? Really is a long way, maybe something for Nachtjagd, but would also be handy for 1946 Allied vs Soviet scenarios. Will be really fairly basic to begin with but it’s still much better than the SWOTL map!

Slink

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2011, 10:37:36 AM »

This is a proof of concept test map to demonstrate the max map size in IL2, which turns out to be half of the 65,536 pixels for MapC originally thought, i.e. 32,768 = 1,638.4 km = 1024 32-pixel units. 65,536 is the max texture size for most graphic cards, so bigger than this and IL2 will CTD on loading the map (actually openGL32 crashes with a DeleteTexture error), for me anyway. This one is not quite that size, there are 48 pixels spare on the Y axis, but near as dammit.

This has been loaded in DBW and flown, there’s a test mission included (Single/GB/CoE) so you can jump straight in and have a look (the Hudson skin is included too). This mission includes CY6’s Dynamic weather, Storm Front and Vector objects, so if you don’t have them in your DBW you can just edit the mission and remove the entries.

The download is a jsgme mod, so you can install to test and remove it all again afterwards. The map itself is just a weekend draft, full of glitches, inland water is just texture, MapH has a few faults etc., and texturing is just for show, although there are airfields. These are however just roughly positioned placeholders, most are probably not usable but something is needed in static.ini to allow missions to be saved. MapC is very rough but I did take the trouble to remove that bit of Holland…

There are two questions however;

Can everybody load this size of map, with minimal actors, quickly and successfully? No problems for me with 1024 in the selector, and I can get very high framerates, but this may not be true for everybody.
This is using “modded” Java exe files with Large Address Aware flag set and Max Heap Size of 4GB, which may not help at all, but don't appear to cause any problems either, but may make things a bit smoother? Someone who knows better would have to tell us if this actually makes any real difference, but maybe worth a try. They are included too, and since it's jsgme you can easily take them back out again anyway, but try and see, maybe?

The big problem is missions.

Although this is the max map size, it appears the max mission size is different. Despite being placed near the corners in the test mission, flights outside a 1000km box set from the bottom left origin will spawn on the edges of this box, so no flights can start outside it, and all waypoints will be moved to the edges when you start the mission even though they show correctly in the mission screen. Planes can go outside this box; if there’s a turn at a waypoint they will cross the line as they turn, so it’s not a hard edge and you can probably fly over it manually, but does restrict any missions to this area.

Oddly enough ships do not seem to be affected, the Marat in the test mission starts correctly outside the box, so I assume the 1000km limit only applies to flights, or at least airspawn and waypoints. This may just be me though, so is it true for everyone? If so, this means the maximum effective map size is actually the 1000km limit, as the rest is basically wasted unless you fly there manually to admire the scenery.

Why this should be so, who knows, maybe it’s just a round number default set in a classfile somewhere and can be modded out, as everything else seems to work (didn’t try vehicles though [yes I did, and they also work fine]). Maybe it’s a DGEN limit? Maybe it's just my install?

So try it out and test, you get to see what a max map feels like, but if the above limit is indeed fixed then this remains just scenery, and any practical map has to stay within the 1000km limit, which may explain why the CloD map is also so restricted? (No, it's much smaller, no room for expansion at all...)

Or maybe I'm just missing something completely obvious again?

Whichever way, so you can see what you’re downloading here are some screenies to show it’s not April, I’m not nuts, and it really does work before you download 93.4 megs.

This is the original mission layout;

and here you can see the waypoints moved along the 1000km line.

and some scenery…

Isles of Scilly

Alps down to Italy

and that's the Med in the background...

Download: You probably need an up to date version of 7zip for this, it's at max compression.

New link, fixed download.
http://www.datafilehost.com/download-d093f28e.html

So if anyone knows how to get around the limit we can use this size, otherwise it's down to 1000 clicks.

Dinga

« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2011, 07:13:53 PM »

Thanks for all your efforts Slink
I could not get this to load using JSGME, someting to do with the load ini I think.So I just placed all the nessesary bits in my mapmods file.The mission loaded up fine.Really hope there is a solution for the 1000 clicks barrier.

How does the dynamic weather work,do I need a mod for it?

Slink

« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2011, 12:28:24 AM »

Hmm, have to check the jsgme structure, should be correct... or did I screw up again!?
Dammit, yes I did, missed the MapMods folder under #DBW, jeez, ultimate dorkdom. Add this folder level and it should then work in jsgme.
Fixed the download.
but at least it worked, thanks for the report. The barrier is a real problem, maybe it can be extended, but for now we're stuck there.
Working on a 1000x1000 version.
But you can still fly over the map manually, just takes a while... but no AI. Any good for online?
For Dynamic Weather/Storm Front you need CY6's C&Cv2 mod, it's in Modworx here https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,16973.0.html
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 12   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 26 queries.