Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What did I do!?!?  (Read 2970 times)

loftyc

What did I do!?!?
« on: June 18, 2011, 06:15:47 PM »

DBW ran for me.  Hooray.  And then I tried using the selector for SAS Modact 3,06, and that worked too.  Also hooray.  But now DBW won't run at all.  Just an error message that the il2 selector exe has stopped working.  I reinstalled DBW, but no go.  but SAS modact still works.  Any ideas???

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
Re: What did I do!?!?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 12:45:46 AM »

At which stage does the selector error message appear (e.g. right when you click the start button, before you click the start button, when the game window appears, at xx%)?
Which file version does the selector have (right click -> properties -> details) and/or which file size (in bytes)?
Which options do you have enabled in JSGME?
Which options did you choose in the selector?

What was your installation order? Sample:
Stock 4.10.1 -> worked
UP3 -> worked
DBW -> worked
Modact 3.06 -> DBW stopped working, Modact worked
DBW -> DBW still not working, Modact still works

Which additional mods do you have installed, especially in your #DBW folder?
Any other relevant information? Please provide as much info as possible. We never know too much of your system in order to fix issues.

Best regards - Mike
Don't split your mentality without thinking twice.

loftyc

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 07:47:52 AM »

Hi Mike,
let's see here, I'll start with:
-Intell 2 core e8400, 6 GB Ram, vista x64
- I can't guarantee the exact installation order, but I think it was stock/4.08-4.10.1/UP3/SAS/DBW.  Whatever the order was, each version ran after I installed it (and I removed the selector exe from the UP3 folder)
- jsgme mods activated:all SAS and DbW trackir, forgotten cos., and fx.  both versions ran
-selector mods activated:launch after 3 sec, quit when IL2 quits, trackir files, expert mode(!) & 4GB address.  Ram usage 1024 MB

everything was OK so far. (and I also ran it w/out the expert/4 GB, in case I didn't "qualify"!)

-now, I want to use the WWI stuff, so in the #SAS folder I added the WWI Somme map.  the game ran, and the map loads in FMB
-when I tried to add some WWI planes, SAS crashed at 60%, so I put back the air file(that I had backed up!), and added only one plane., and got it to fly. (nice job on the WWI planes, Beowolf and all others!)
I also followed the directions to add WI tanks, changing the chief, static, and technics files in the SAS/STD folder.  and it ran.

Again, I checked, and everything including DBW is still OK.

soooo, since I am only offline, I'm thinking that DBW will be my primary go-to version, so I want to get the WWI stuff running in it.  I copy the map folder, add the right line to the all.ini, and DBW is good.
-BUT: I copied the SAS/STD foldr, minus the .rc file, into the DBW folder (since I had made all the necessary changes for the WWI tanks), That's when DBW stops.  The selector runs, I choose DBW, and in a few seconds, I get the error message that IL@ selector exe has sotpped working.  Try again, no go.  Try again, change to SAS Modact, and it works.  Try back to DBW, no go.

OK, no biggie, I'll just put back the original DBW STD file, that I had backed up like a good boy. But it still stops even with the original files back in there!  And that's where I'm pulling out my hair.

(while I've been typing this, I renamed that whole install  folder, and the did an entire new install, as described above.  with this, I have DBW working, as I did before, which is nice.  But I'm afraid to touch it!)

I hope all this helps, although I am at least glad that I can get at least something to work, and it seems like it's only something that I'm screwing up along the way, and not some kind of program issue.

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 09:40:05 AM »

Thanks for the excellent report loftyc. If you don't mind, I'll link to your post in case someone doesn't know how to provide a comprehensive bug report in the future.

Well, let me see...

Things got messed up when you copied the SAS/STD folder to your DBW folder. That's not too surprising to me, but anyway.
Things still were messed up when you copied the old DBW/STD folder back in place. That is surprising indeed. The fact that SAS Modact still works is logical since SAS Modact doesn't read the DBW folder.

Now we basically have three possibilities left:
  • Your DBW/STD folder backup doesn't contain all files (hidden/readonly files might be missing depending on your Explorer settings).
  • You just copied the backup contents over the messed DBW/STD - SAS/STD folder contents and didn't remove the old messed up folder before. It's unlikely to me that you did this.
  • You have enabled the Cached Mode in the selector settings. If so, you have to remove the "~wrapper.cache" file in the #DBW folder each time you change something inside that folder.

Best regards - Mike

loftyc

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 10:47:02 AM »

don't take this wrong, but I feel better that you're surprised about it still being messed up.  I don't feel so alone.

as for the three possibilities,
1. I looked through all the folders, and all the original files are there.
2. all I did for backing up was to change file names, so no, I didn't just copy over the problem-causing STD.
3. I don't quite understand the cache mode, so I have never checked that box.  I was/am quite happy with how things run and look without it, so if it ain't "broke," ....

the new install is running, and I can just delete the old game folder and move on.  But are there files or types (maps, planes, missions) that, even though they work in Modact, I shouldn't even get them near the DBW folder?

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 01:51:45 PM »

don't take this wrong, but I feel better that you're surprised about it still being messed up.  I don't feel so alone.
You're welcome mate ;)
Well, that's the critical part where none of us can see the light at the end of the tunnel, yet we know there is light.

are there files or types (maps, planes, missions) that, even though they work in Modact, I shouldn't even get them near the DBW folder?
No. That #DBW folder acts exactly the same like the #SAS, #UP# or the famous old MODS folder.
It's really hard to guess what went wrong exactly.
The one thing I could offer to you is to upload your whole (non-working) #DBW folder somewhere (mediafire, gamefront etc.), so I could pick it there and see what exactly makes the selector and/or the game crash then. This should clarify things since I can debug both applications then to see exactly what happens where and when.
That way we could avoid similar issues in the future, too.

Best regards - Mike

loftyc

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 04:41:19 PM »

um, well, since I got the new install working (and I've since added in working WWI planes and the Somme map), I, uh, was disgusted enough to send the other folder into oblivion.  So I can't really get it to you.  Sorry about that. 

But if you're still looking for a mystery, I've got one more:  I have DBW selected in the Selector options, and that is the loading screen and ensuing game that fires up, but I notice in the few seconds that the selector is on the screen, that in the little window, where it shows the selected options, it indicates "classic modded game!"  ughh!  (but it works, so I'm OK)

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 05:02:16 AM »

No problem loftyc, that's an easy one.
Just go grab the latest selector here: https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,16403.0.html
That's btw. what the installation instructions for DBW tell you (see https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,16538.0.html "Before starting the game"): You should always check to have the latest selector version installed.

The reason for this separate update is simply that the selector is supposed to be updated more frequently than DBW and it would simply not make sense to redistribute the whole DBW package for each selector update.

By the way this issue is caused by the DBW selector version (which atm is the latest) has been overwritten by the SAS Modact one (which is two days older) in your case, but that's just for your information.

Best regards - Mike

loftyc

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 05:46:25 PM »

I'm up and flying  - thanks for all the help here, and to you and every modder everywhere for this and every great package!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 26 queries.