Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: AI ground attack upgrade v 1.03  (Read 21415 times)

Checkyersix

• Modder
  • Dr. Frankenplane
AI ground attack upgrade v 1.03
« on: December 06, 2010, 09:39:12 AM »

Hey all,

This mod is a long time coming, I think.

The hopeless way that AI ground attacks in this game has always been a pet peeve of mine, so I decided to do something about it:

Download (v 1.03) https://www.mediafire.com/?bzbtdevzs7py7sb

Mirror: http://www.filefront.com/17752058/+000_New_Gattack_Profile.rar

=========================================================

Update V 1.03:

- Fixed problems with AI not dropping bombs in last patch.

Update V 1.02:

- Fixed memory error problems that people were having on landing.

Update V 1.01:

- Fixed issue with mixed Bomber / Stormoviks not releasing ordnance properly.

=========================================================

Just unzip to the MODS folder.

This mod is compatible with Frog's formation mod and Cert's AI mod, just make sure it loads above both of them.

This mod requires Fireball's Catapult mod to work. If you don't have the catapult mod installed you may encounter memory errors when taking off from carriers or test runways.

What does it do?

This mod affects "Stormovik" and "Fighter" AI types, though there will be some crossover with Dive Bombers, Bombers, etc (as in the A-20 or the D3A1).

1) During strafing, AI will now fire from farther away and pull up sooner, reducing "controlled flight into terrain". They will stay closer to the ground and make tighter turns when circling back for another pass, hopefully eliminating those sweeps off to who-knows-where, and reducing the overall time of the attack and increasing the actual frequency of passes. They will also attack at lower speed, making jets and other fast-movers more viable ground attackers (especially with reduced fuel).

2) During "glide attacks" the AI will drop one set of bombs per pass (one "trigger press"), then swing around for another pass until all its bombs are expended. It will then switch to strafing runs if any targets remain. If not, it will carry its bombs back to base as normal, or to the next ground attack waypoint. This more closely simulates actual ground attack procedure, its more efficient, and it gives the AI a higher chance to kill multiple targets. Dive bombing or level bombing runs will still release all ordnance on the target.

I've tested this mod with single-engines, twins, and jets, and overall the performance is much better. It's much more fun to attack an airfield with the AI when they use similar tactics, instead of being the only one with any bombs left, making strafing runs while your buddies circle back from ten klicks away ;)

I expect there will still be some ground impacts and other issues, as the AI is anything but foolproof.

=========================================

Thanks To:

Beo for testing.
Cert for his AI mod.
Fireball for his catapult mod.

=========================================

Happy ground pounding,

CY6.

NOTE: If you have ideas for this mod or you'd like to make changes to it, please contact me beforehand.

boogabooga

• Modder
Re: AI ground attack upgrade v 1.0
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 09:56:13 AM »

:)

If this works as advertised, then you sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.

I have one request/idea, though. Would there be any way to implement a "one pass, haul ass" mode? i.e. drop EVERYTHING on the first pass, then get the hell out of Dodge without making any more passes at that waypoint. That would come in very handy in "high threat" areas, I think.   

US_GRANT

• Modder
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 11:39:02 AM »

:)

If this works as advertised, then you sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.

I have one request/idea, though. Would there be any way to implement a "one pass, haul ass" mode? i.e. drop EVERYTHING on the first pass, then get the hell out of Dodge without making any more passes at that waypoint. That would come in very handy in "high threat" areas, I think.   

This is an interesting idea and was often used in those high threat areas. Seems though, what is needed for something like that would be to set it up in briefing. Giving the option for, "Attack until target is destroyed or all ordinance is expended", or "make one pass expending all ordinance and head for home." Not sure if something like that is even possible with the game right now. Would be nice though.

Checkyersix

• Modder
  • Dr. Frankenplane
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 11:49:53 AM »

Actually it is possible, but there's a price to pay. I modified a few jets and some others with "no gun" loadouts, so that once they drop their bombs they go home. Of course with this mod they would circle back if they have more than one set of bombs on the racks...

I suppose you'd need a new kind of ground attack waypoint for that, otherwise, which I don't think I'm equipped to do right now...

Checkyersix

• Modder
  • Dr. Frankenplane
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 03:02:59 PM »

- for the il2 machines with AO-10 is too low: we have ailerons and tail damage from own bombs explosions.

- I couldn't replicate the Il-2 problem, sorry. A couple of my Il-2's received damage from AO-10's when dropping on bridges, but nothing serious.

- problematic is the sequence of bomb dropping, I suppose that first used the heaviest weapons because of the maneuverability and overload after the first pass. (for FW190 with 4xSC-50 + 1xAB250 dropping sequence is 2xSC-50 , 2xSC-20 and 1xAB250 - two passes with heavy AB250 bomb)

- The bomb sequence is the same as it would be for the player. It might make more sense to drop the heavier ones first, but some planes aren't set up that way...

- I suppose that the combination of SC + AB bombs (used for Me-110 and Fw190A,F and G)was aimed at strengthening the forces of surface attack / "soft targets" in a single salvo. For this reason, it makes no sense to "divide" this attack on two approaches

- I don't think I agree. While salvoing different types of bombs together might make sense under certain circumstances, I think ground attack pilots would generally want accuracy. When it comes to hitting pin-point targets it makes sense to save bombs in case of a miss. I don't know how the Germans used their bombs specifically, but the general rule of conserving ammo is true for most ground attack doctrines.

- Get gunners to fire on ground targets when conducting attacks below a certain level.

I've been working on this, but it's a whole other kettle of fish. The turrets are set up to attack aircraft only, it seems, and ground targets use different info...

- Have subsequent passes conducted from the same compass heading as the first. This would allow for some degree of planning to avoid flak, etc.

It's not a bad idea, but it's not historical. In real life ground attack pilots never attack from the same direction twice, because the AAA would be waiting for them. USAF doctrine is to split into pairs and attack from different directions. Any reasonably defended target would have all-around AAA defense anyway.

RAF74_Bimmer

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2010, 03:25:46 PM »

I know that attacking from a single direction is not tactically sound for a variety of reasons, in real life at least. However, considering the limited control one has over AI wingmen in the game, it would seem to offer some measure of ability to coordinate an attack that is currently lacking, and to do so without inordinate complication. As it stands, AI wingmen seem to almost invariably make their second and third passes from the least advantageous random directions. The exception is moving columns, which seem to have a routine for aligning with the axis of travel. I wonder if this could extrapolated and be put to use somehow.

Mick

• Modder
Re: AI ground attack upgrade v 1.03
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 03:50:31 PM »

THX a lot for fixing it so fast Checkyersix, 'cause once you've tried your mod you can't live without it ...  :P

AMK

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2010, 12:56:41 AM »

THX. Fly 3 mission,  since now all works fine.  GREAT JOB :)

dietz

• Supporter
  • " Keep watching the skies...."
    • Art of James Dietz
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2010, 05:33:43 PM »

I installed this immediately! Nice work! I had one question ;in some of my ground support/attack missions I cannot get some of my fellow squadron mates to deliver their ordanance- they fly home with it despite the fact other targets remain...does this mod effect this issue..?

Checkyersix

• Modder
  • Dr. Frankenplane
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2010, 09:18:51 PM »

What's happening specifically? Do they not attack, or do they attack for a while and just stop?

There are basically two factors which control when the AI stops ground attacks:

1) After 120 seconds have elapsed.
2) After everything within 200m of the ground attack waypoint (or the target of a ground attack waypoint) is destroyed.

You could probably get them to be more thorough by just adding a couple of more ground attack waypoints near the first one.

dietz

• Supporter
  • " Keep watching the skies...."
    • Art of James Dietz
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2010, 09:22:18 PM »

1.) Not sure...good point! Probably...
2.) Other people's missions I'm flying

Mick

• Modder
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2010, 04:31:47 AM »

Checkyersix I am afraid I found another "bug"

Took me quite a while figuring out who was the "culprit" because the game crashed nearly right from starting a mission, but now I am sure:

This memory crash occurs whenever there are such  takeoff lines in a mission :

[gb0100_Way]
  TAKEOFF 299990.79 115766.18 0 0 400_Static 0 &0

[gb0101_Way]
  TAKEOFF 299990.79 115766.18 0 0 400_Static 0 &0

These are extracts from Klaus Afrika 41 (mission 5 for ex) campaign :

http://www.checksix-forums.com/showthread.php?t=164491

I just deleted the takeoff lines and everythings now works like a charm  ;)

THX again for the mod  ;)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 23 queries.